Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Left-Handed Quilters Issues? >

Left-Handed Quilters Issues?

Left-Handed Quilters Issues?

Old 06-24-2011, 07:32 AM
Banned

Great idea. This is how my grandmother taught me to crochet.
Old 06-24-2011, 07:42 AM

I am left handed but all my life I have had to use right handed things and I am so use to it now it doesn't bother me.I don't buy left handed thinds to work with as they don't fit right for me.Handquilter
Old 06-24-2011, 08:18 AM

I thought you could put the blade on either side of the ofla cutter. I am always putting my on wrong. Martelli makes a lefty that friend of mine uses and likes.
Old 06-24-2011, 08:43 AM

I completly understand. My father ordered me a pair of sewing shears when I was in 6th grade. We had to take HomeEc in 6th grade. My teacher had no idea that there were left handed shears.
Through the years I have learned to work my left hand into a right handed world.
I teach quilting classes now, and it is fun when you are working with a right-hander. They look at me funny. I just laugh. I did have 2 ladies that took my class that were lefties. I had to re-ajust how I had them cut the fabric. It was so fun.
Old 06-24-2011, 09:13 AM

Try this link for left handed cutters. I am right handed and have one that I really like. Found it at LQS and got it because it is easy to use while sitting down, as the handle fits your hand better.(I have back problems and cannot stand up to cut) Hope this helps.

http://www.martellicatalog.com/mm5/g...LeftHanded.jpg
Old 06-24-2011, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by tellabella
...irons that have the cord coming out of one side instead of the back are a problem...
Oddly, I have an old hand mixer where the cord comes out on the left side, and I'm a righty. The solution is to pull the cord through the handle before plugging it in. I think that would work on most irons also.

When you see a picture on the computer (or one you can scan) that is backwards for you, you could take a screen shot and flip it horizontally in an image program. I guess a mirror would probably be more convenient, but if it's something you might print to take to your work area anyway, maybe it's worth a try.

You may be able to read the words and numbers by holding it up to light. I checked this with ordinary ink jet/copy paper and can read through it if the print is large enough. That means that if you have printed material for righties, and there's nothing on the back, you may be able to just look at it from the back to see illustrations oriented correctly. A light box would help.

All this is pretty iffy and inconvenient. I feel for the lefties.
Old 06-24-2011, 10:05 AM

I'm left-handed also, but I've learned to adjust for some right-handed stuff (theoretically it's a right-handed world). I make stuff work for me.

I use right-handed scissors, but it gets interesting since I use my left for sighting up...
Old 06-24-2011, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by cjomomma
I have adjusted to the right handed world and can work from the right or left. I have a fiskars rotary cutter that can be used either way. Infact most of my tools can be used right or left.
I use a Fiskars..I'm right handed..but 2 of my quilting buddies are left handed..when they need to use it.. we just change the blades to the other side..works out great !! LOL..except once when I forgot it had been changed and couldn't figure out why my cut didn't work..they still tease me about it !!
Old 06-24-2011, 10:13 AM

I know what you mean. some things are harder but I found that I can reverse the blade on my cutter.
I think the hardest thing is the instructions i end up reading them over a couple if times to make sure i understand them.
When they show cutting the fabric into strips it has taken me along time to get it right reversed.
I love working with my Daughter she cuts and I sew it works wonderful and we can zip through all the patterns.
Besides she is more on the ball than I'm.
kjym Kathy
Old 06-24-2011, 10:32 AM

I have a left-handed mother and sister. So, we only had lefty scissors in the house. I sympathize with the adjustments, but because I grew up with be the back-ward one ... and made lots of use of mirroring techniques, it can be done. I was in demand at one time because I could teach either-handed folks to crotchet.