Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
June Tailor rulers chewed up by rotary cutter? >

June Tailor rulers chewed up by rotary cutter?

June Tailor rulers chewed up by rotary cutter?

Old 06-24-2011, 07:50 AM

I'm right handed and I've cut up one of mine pretty badly with the blade. I never even thought about contacting them to complain but I will now.
Old 06-24-2011, 08:01 AM

Don't think it has anything to do with being left or right handed. I have noticed that sometimes the top of the slots have a little burr on them that the cutter catches on. I get a sharp exacto knife and file off the burr and that takes care of the problem. Still have to hold the cutter straight up and down, no leaning to the side. Haven't tried a Dritz cutter but the Olfa with the automatic release can be switched over for left-handers. I went to that one when I knocked an open Olfa off onto my foot and cut the crud out of my big toe!!
Old 06-24-2011, 08:39 AM

QUESTION: the JT slotted ruler I just bought has slots every 1/2" and has a 1/4" line up the left side.
So if I need to cut 2 1/4" strips, for instance, would I position the slot at 2" and then move the ruler over to the right so the left edge lines up with the 1/4" line on the left side??

Thanks for any clarification anyone can provide.

This was not addressed in the accompanying guidelines or in the videos I watched. The slotted ruler with the 1/4" slots seemed much more flimsy than the 1/2" slotted one.
Old 06-24-2011, 08:45 AM

It's not a left or right handed issue- I have learned to slow down before hitting the end, but yes, it's a design flaw that the rotary cutter puts a nick in the plastic which eventually causes the ruler to break.
Old 06-24-2011, 08:46 AM

This happened to mine also. I did have my husband file it down some, but I still keep getting the cutter caught on the edge. I too would like any suggestions. Thanks
Old 06-24-2011, 09:57 AM

If you are left handed you just move the blade to the other side of the olfa cutter. They come ready for right handers but easily switch for lefties.
Old 06-24-2011, 10:10 AM

Yep, that should give you the 1/4" cutting line. When in doubt lay a ruler on top and check the measurements between the slots. I have the 12"x18" slotted ruler and have found that the distance from the edge to the first and last cutting slot is 2" on each side, so that can add one more cut when making 2" strips and even one more cut when making 2.5" cuts (17.5" + 2.5" = 20" or right side of ruler). Works for 4" and 5" cuts also.
Originally Posted by postal packin' mama
QUESTION: the JT slotted ruler I just bought has slots every 1/2" and has a 1/4" line up the left side.
So if I need to cut 2 1/4" strips, for instance, would I position the slot at 2" and then move the ruler over to the right so the left edge lines up with the 1/4" line on the left side??

This was not addressed in the accompanying guidelines or in the videos I watched. The slotted ruler with the 1/4" slots seemed much more flimsy than the 1/2" slotted one.
Old 06-24-2011, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by Delilah
Yep, that should give you the 1/4" cutting line. When in doubt lay a ruler on top and check the measurements between the slots. I have the 12"x18" slotted ruler and have found that the distance from the edge to the first and last cutting slot is 2" on each side, so that can add one more cut when making 2" strips and even one more cut when making 2.5" cuts (17.5" + 2.5" = 20" or right side of ruler). Works for 4" and 5" cuts also.

Thank you! That'll work for the first two '+1/4" cuts' at least, at which time I'd need to reposition like I did before doing the first two cuts...I think...?
Haven't tried using it yet but wanted to ask first to see if it sounded logical to more experienced folks.

Originally Posted by postal packin' mama

Old 06-24-2011, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by montanajan
Originally Posted by SharBear
Sue,

I'm beginning to think we are sisters from another mother! Both lefties and both gouging the June Tailor.

JUST last night I went to watch the JT demo videos because I was sure there was something I was doing wrong. I watched them all and noticed that when the woman puts the blade in to start it's on an angle and then she straightened it up when she starts cutting down the channel. I plan on trying that. It think we might be ever so slightly off of straight when using them and that's causing the problem.

later sis!
SharBear & SueSew, Make that triplets!
I have the same issue, always thought it was just me being careless. From now on I'm going to blame it on June Tailor for not making one just for lefties! (like there would be a difference - not!)
OK, make that quads, I too am left handed and have the problem. I'm going to try another cutter, thanks for the hint.
Old 06-24-2011, 02:45 PM

Ihave one of those rulers, and it has never worked for me. I guess I need to practice, but the cutter just never goes into the slot like I think it should. I have plenty of other rulers that i can use with no problems, so I will continue using those.