Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Left-Handed Quilters Issues? >

Left-Handed Quilters Issues?

Left-Handed Quilters Issues?

Old 06-24-2011, 10:33 AM

When growing up we never had left handed scissors. So I learned to cut fabric with my right hand. It is about the only thing that I do right handed. When I cut with a rotary cutter, I switch the blade and use my left hand. Sometimes I do get frustrated with rulers. The measurements are always on the wrong side or backwards. Just the joys of living in a right handed world :D

Had a left handed friend tell me that everyone is born left handed. People only become right handed when they commit their first sin. Sounds like a good one to me!
Old 06-24-2011, 11:06 AM

I switched the olfa blades to the other side and buy either universal scissors or left handed ones. I also have a left handed "finger press." I just read my ruler carefully, though there are left handed rulers now.

Generally, I haven't had too many problems compared to using a computer or some other "right-handed" items. It is more of a problem with other handicrafts like knitting and crocheting. Mine came out lumpy, so I gave that up. Sewing is not really so handed, which is nice.

We are also "the only ones in our right minds (LOL)." :)
Old 06-24-2011, 11:42 AM

I'm a lefty too. I love my lefty scissors. I've adapted over time to the "right handed world" but if you come into my house, everything is ALWAYS placed to the left. In fact, my DH has to do the dishes because there's no space on the left side to put dishes before I dry them. :) Winning situation for me. He started to do them after I forgot about the lack of space and broke about 10 plates and glasses. :D
Old 06-24-2011, 12:46 PM

I truly am ambidexterous, so I have learned to do things with both hands, but yes, you are correct, unfortunately us left handed people live in a right hand world. I have also found that the sewing machine lever for lifting the sewing foot, is definitely made for right handed people, as it is conveniently placed for them. Now we all know for sure that these machines were definitely not designed by any woman. There are several places that do sell scissors, etc. including pattern instructions for knitters and crocheters, fo rleft handed people.
Old 06-24-2011, 01:22 PM

I just learned to adapt to the rest of the world. In school, they had only right handed golf clubs, so that's how I learned to golf. We never had left handed scissors, so I learned on right handed. Mom bought me a pair of left handed scissors when I was twenty-six, and can't get the things to work. I guess us lefties have to be a little smarter to adapt to the right-handed world! he he
Old 06-24-2011, 01:23 PM

I changed the blade side on my rotary cutter, learned to iron right handed, learned to use either kind of scissors, but I do have trouble with pictures. For instance learning to knit. I just can't reverse it in my brain. HaHa.
Old 06-24-2011, 03:31 PM

I have an old olfa but I just installed the blade on the other side and use it left handed.

Some rulers are right handed, especially the older ones. I bought a whole set of something for a class only to find I could only use them if I turned them upside down!

Just remembered the name ... the were the easy angle rulers. I hated them! (Never finished that darned sampler quilt either. I was a newbie and it just wasn't worth the trouble. I think I gave the fabric and rulers away together!)
Old 06-24-2011, 04:44 PM

I, too, am left-handed. Sometimes I have to wait for DH to get home and hope he's not too tired to help me.
Old 06-24-2011, 06:39 PM

most cutters can be made left-handed. I convert mine. I am a lefty.
Old 06-24-2011, 08:23 PM

I have left handed scissors and pinking scissors..don't seem to have a lot of problems with the rotary cutter but I cut standing and can access my table from both sides. I tried to do a quilting bee and it simply didn't work. I quilt alone if I do hand quilting. I have been lucky at home .. both my sons were lefties so my husband was the one that had to find the best place to sit..still makes me laugh to think about that!