Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need Help, Please >

Need Help, Please

Need Help, Please

Old 06-24-2011, 09:09 AM

That's a great idea too patmas. I do know that I couldn't just go with something that I knew wouldn't make me happy in the long run. I would always see what I felt was "wrong" with it and nothing else. I would have to find some way to make it "right".

Tara
Old 06-24-2011, 10:41 AM

Way back in ancient times, I was taught to straighten fabric by taking opposite corners diagonally and tugging. Have you tried that to get it back in alignment?
Old 06-24-2011, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by fatnsassy
Way back in ancient times, I was taught to straighten fabric by taking opposite corners diagonally and tugging. Have you tried that to get it back in alignment?
If it is printed off grain, no amount of tugging or pulling will make the pattern match the grain.
Old 06-24-2011, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by brosier
In one of the first quilt classes I took, the instructor took the uncut fabric by one corner, had another person take the fabric by the opposite corner at the other end of the fabric and then they proceeded to pull and tug on the fabric by the opposite corners. They would then move their hands to get a different grip but at the same 45 degree angle and pulled on the fabric.
Magically, the fabric was then straightened. You might try this to see if you can straighten the fabric a bit - then the print might look better.
I'll have to be sure and remember this one. Thanks!
Old 06-24-2011, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by CoyoteQuilts
Okay Maggie, I understand when you say that you 'won't be able to square' it up. If you cut the width of the fabric with the print the length cut will cut the star in half, so no matter what way you cut you end up with a partial star. If this fabric is going to be triangles it won't show that much because the cross cuts are going to cut the stars in 1/2 anyways.

Does that make sense to you?
Yes, thank you.
Old 06-24-2011, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
Originally Posted by MaggieMeg
No, MIJul, I do not believe I would have enough fabric if I straightened it. It is so close that the cut is almost into the selvedge on the first part of the cuts. But it is cut into 7 1/4" squares which are cut twice diagonally, so the design will not show. But I haven't looked at the striped fabric yet. I believe the striped has to be straight. I am beginning to think I won't be purchasing kits any more in the future. I'd rather purchase plenty of extra for any oops.
If the design gets cut that much, just do it. It'll be fine.
I agree. If you are going to cut it up smaller it won't matter.
Old 06-24-2011, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by MIJul
Wishing you good luck and straight seams. :-) I'm very impressed with your dedication and willingness to stick with it. It's going to turn out great and you're learning good lessons while making something meaningful. Good for you.
Thanks. I thought this would make a good practice quilt.
Old 06-24-2011, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by fatnsassy
No, I cut it up before I read this. But with the small cuts, it didn't really matter. I really wanted to know the answer, though, in case I run across this problem again. (like the striped fabric, for example.) I didn't know if it is a rare occurence to have crooked print or if this was something unusual. I have so much to learn!
Old 06-24-2011, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by MaggieMeg
Originally Posted by brosier
In one of the first quilt classes I took, the instructor took the uncut fabric by one corner, had another person take the fabric by the opposite corner at the other end of the fabric and then they proceeded to pull and tug on the fabric by the opposite corners. They would then move their hands to get a different grip but at the same 45 degree angle and pulled on the fabric.
Magically, the fabric was then straightened. You might try this to see if you can straighten the fabric a bit - then the print might look better.
I'll have to be sure and remember this one. Thanks!
Be sure to pull across the narrowest diagonal, there are two to choose from. One will make it better, but pulling on the wrong one will make it worse.
Old 06-24-2011, 04:32 PM

I would keep the design straight, unless it doesn't matter visually. If it doesn't matter and you have enough fabric (check before cutting), I would cut the straight.