Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Computerized Featherweight >

Computerized Featherweight

Computerized Featherweight

Old 06-24-2011, 11:04 AM

Thank you for posting about your new baby. I would have never know about this machine if you had made your post. So now guess where I'm going this afternoon, hint; it's not Disneyland.
Old 06-24-2011, 11:05 AM
lue

Sewbizgirl, I have the old Bernina 830 as well and can't find the manual. I googled the manual and they sent me to the new 830! Do you know how I can get a copy of the manual for the old 830 manual. I can't get my decorative stitches to work and I know I must be missing a small step! HELP!!
Old 06-24-2011, 11:11 AM

sounds like what I need when out of town.
Old 06-24-2011, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by lue
Sewbizgirl, I have the old Bernina 830 as well and can't find the manual. I googled the manual and they sent me to the new 830! Do you know how I can get a copy of the manual for the old 830 manual. I can't get my decorative stitches to work and I know I must be missing a small step! HELP!!
I have the old 830 record. If you PM me, maybe I can find the answer for you. I have the manual, and all the examples we did in class when I got the machine.
Old 06-24-2011, 11:20 AM

This machine is very cool, there is also a babylock audrey that is very similar, I've been looking at both, just can't decide, the audrey is available through a dealer, have seen a few on ebay, and this one I can just order on-line anytime... very spiffy to take to classes and traveling, keep us posted on how you like it..and have fun :)
Old 06-24-2011, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by clsurz
That is why I purchased it because it is lightweight besides all the computerization of it. Also to take with me when I go twice a week to socialize with other sewers/quilters.

I also wanted it to do more than just a straight stitch like the old featherweights do.

HSN was offering it for over $400 and I got it from JoAnn's for a little over $230 for a one day sale they had going on. Couldn't see paying over $400 for it on HSN just because it had a added bundle. They wanted that much with the added bundle and looking up retail value of those items they still were charging over $50 more than if I got it in a retail store.

I have the Singer Futura 2000 which I primarily use for embroidery, photo stitching, auto-punch, cross stitching. It's also a sewing/serger machine but I don't want to be bothered changing it over just to sew therefore it is set up as an embroidery machine.

Right now I've been using the Brother SQ9000 for sewing and taking with me and it is a good little work horse for sure but needed something lighter so opted for the computerized featherweight.

My 8 yr old GD likes to use my mini Janome when she goes with me to these places and also likes to use the Brother SQ9000 when she comes here so I will keep that one for her and I'll use the featherweight.
I looked at the picture online and it looks really nice. I am wondering, however, if it will be big enough for you to do any machine quilting. I have a new Brother machine that is a little champion for me, but I cannot use it for machine quilting or free motion quilting because there isn't enough space to the right of the needle to fit anything big and bulky. I can't quilt my 72" quilt, because I have to squeeze and jam it through such a small hole. So, I am having my old Singer Touch and Sew tuned up for the bigger jobs. Good luck!
Old 06-24-2011, 11:25 AM

This response is for lue - I'm assuming you mean, does it do embroidery in a hoop - and the answer is no. It does have some really nice embroidery stitches, but I don't think that is what you wanted.

There are some inexpensive Brother machines that do embroidery in a hoop (I have one, the Disney model), but it's only a 4"x4" design area. I think it might be a little bit heavy for you, though.
Old 06-24-2011, 11:35 AM

what a cute little machine....
Old 06-24-2011, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by dottientx
What is wrong with you people? So what if it isn't all metal! So what if this or that! Some of us like yellow in quilts, some of us don't. Why bash the excitement of a person who is excited about getting a new sewing baby! I'd love to have the excitement of getting one of these machines but I don't need 66 decorative stitches. Do you think that would make me put down anyone who wants them? If I had one of these machines I wouldn't have to use them. Do I smell a bit of Featherweight snobbery here???? Old is old no matter what it is.
Actually this computerized featherweight has alot of metal in it. I figure the snobs have yet to try it out and probably have not even seen it.

I'm not upset with such folks. As long as it makes me happy that is all there is IMHo.

I had to chuckle at your comment about "old is old no matter what it is" and IMHO old is on the way out period and it will never come back unless you find one at an antique store/shop. Just like when we get old and can't do anymore we die and go home to be with the Lord. Same goes for old machines, they go to antique heaven.

Personally I love technology and the advances it brings us and this is an awesome machine as an antique and what it could do back than and what it can do today with computerized technology.

Let's face it we are after all in the 21st century and we live in a world full of technology and most of us do not desire to go backwards but forward and using this technology to do things better and easier than ever before.
Old 06-24-2011, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by lue
Does it embroider? I'm looking for a light weight machine (I have a bulging disc and have been ordered to lift no more than 10 pounds) that sews AND embroiders for under $400. Any suggestions?
This machine is 17 lbs. It's not a mini machine and only 1/3 smaller in size than a regular sewing machine.

There is an embroidery foot for it but from what I read in the manual it is free motion embroidery and does not have a hoop like regular embroidery machines.