Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
YOUR quilting "style" >

YOUR quilting "style"

YOUR quilting "style"

Old 06-23-2011, 07:51 PM
Power Poster

I love details with order to it. Whether it is with the fabrics or the design it doesn't matter. I find myself happiest using many jewel tone garden themed batiks. But, who could afford that all the time. Certainly not me!

I try to stretch myself with each quilt. As much as I can, I try to learn to do my piecing spot on accruate with the harder pattern. It is getting better. But then, sometimes learning new free motion quilting designs is fun too.

I want to make a portrait quilt in off white, greys and blacks like the old photos someday. I just would love to try that.

So... what style is that? I don't know. Progressive ... yeah that is it.
Old 06-24-2011, 06:15 AM

I like old fashioned scrappy quilts best.
Old 06-24-2011, 09:37 AM

I am an old fashioned country girl at heart, but with a twist. I am a prolific quilt maker to the extreme!! I love, love, love the 1930s fabrics and the traditional patterns make a connection to my heritage which I love. I make TONS of 4 patch and 9 patch and the like for super quick gift and donations. I love needle turn applique. Nothing is more soothing to me than to hand quilt for months on an heirloom quilt. I do simple machine quilting (and I do mean SIMPLE) . If my family asked me to make an abstract design quilt or a portrait quilt I would be up the creek But I would research the technique and give er a try. I just love working with my hands; with or without a sewing machine and I NEEEED to create.
Old 06-24-2011, 02:49 PM

I like them all and want to make one of each I see. It really depends on my mood at the moment. I just finished a Drunkards Path. Working on a wall hanging with aplique now.
Old 06-24-2011, 05:34 PM

I like to do patterns that are challenging like mariner's compass designs, bella bella quilts, ect.
Old 06-24-2011, 06:03 PM

I guess I am all over the place depending on my mood. I just finished a wonky log cabin that was too much fun and now I am doing a crazy quilt in silk velvet, brocade and silk prints and embroidery with and without beads. This will take awhile........
Old 06-24-2011, 09:43 PM

What is a BQ2 block? I don't think I've ever seen that. I'm drawn more to the traditional patterns myself. I don't like anything that is too busy looking.

Windsong
Old 06-25-2011, 02:18 AM

It's kinda funny that I like the traditional looking quilts as I'm 18, but I personally love working with feedsacks. I think they're a lot easier to quilt by hand and make it easier to practice my quilting. But I do like some newer patterns or sometimes, as I wanted to make a child's quilt, used bright colors and new prints in an old pattern while making the back of feedsack like material because I love it.
Old 06-25-2011, 06:56 AM

I know this reply will be lost in the shuffle, but for all who asked what BQ2 means...here is the answer.

Maple Island Quilts designed a pattern called BQ, that's the whole name of it...BQ. It features 18" blocks, so the BQ is for Big Quilt (the 9" versions are called BBQ quilts...baby big quilt). They then came out with a second version, similar to the original but different. That one is called BQ2, that's the name of it, nothing more. Big Quilt, the sequel I guess you could call it. :lol: There is also a BQ3 pattern. Several links to photos of this quilt design have already been posted by others, but here's the Maple Island Quilts website.
http://www.mapleislandquilts.com/quiltpatterns.asp
Old 06-25-2011, 09:16 AM

Thank you ghostrider for answering my question about BQ2. I will take a look at the link you gave.

Windsong