Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
The Good Old Days - Remembering Old Fabric Shops >

The Good Old Days - Remembering Old Fabric Shops

The Good Old Days - Remembering Old Fabric Shops

Old 06-25-2011, 03:49 PM

Oh My Gosh! I remember those! I used to think they were the neatest thing! When I was taking Home Economics in 7th grade and then Sewing my first year of high school, the only fabric shop around was down the street from me. It was called Martin's Fabrics and I loved to go in there. They had all kinds of fabric, from dress to home dec. Plus notions, rick rack, ribbon, etc. It was built like a castle in that it had two-round towers, one on each side of the business. I always like going there with my mother. They are still in business, but not at that location. Boy, this thread sure brought back some memories! My grandmother (Mother's Mother) was a profession seamstress and I think of her sewing often. This just brought it back. Thanks!
Old 06-25-2011, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan
i've sewed a LOT over the years and cannot recall the actual puchasing of the fabric. however, i remember going with my mother to buy fabrics. some were at woolworth's and remember the knicking and ripping method. we lived in an old manufacturing district, so my mother shopped a lot at their mill end outlets. it was mind boggling. i miss living near those :)
We had a lot of mills in the area where I grew up also. My mother was the book-keeper at one for several years and I used to help out during my school vacations. One of my cousins and her husband worked in the textile industry as well, so I am sure a lot of my early fabric was from the mills.
Old 06-25-2011, 04:34 PM

I remember using them when I worked in a fabric store in Florida. But I remember Zayres from when I lived in NY state.my MIL use to shop there every week, and Grants from living in NJ. I hadn't thought about them in years.
Old 06-25-2011, 04:43 PM
Banned

I have one of these? Just love it...the first BIG fabric store I worked at was a family owned/ran business in Lansdale, PA...Lansdale house of fabrics...I loved that place!
Old 06-25-2011, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by ThayerRags
Originally Posted by greensleeves
J C Penney's had fabric and the measuring meter when I was young and it was located on the second level, like a mezzanine because you could look out over the first floor.
Yes! Mezzanine! Thank you! That’s the term I was looking for.

I wonder if the mezzanine was a sort of trade mark of JC Penney Stores?

CD in Oklahoma
Our JC Penney had the fabric on the Mezzanine, and they had the fabric meter. That was back in "63" when I started sewing.
Old 06-25-2011, 06:16 PM

The meters worked well on woven fabric but not on knit which stretches. So while the meter reports 8yds in reality it might only be 7½yds.
Old 06-25-2011, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by Glassquilt
The meters worked well on woven fabric but not on knit which stretches. So while the meter reports 8yds in reality it might only be 7½yds.
I hadn’t actually thought about that, but you’re right. Maybe that’s when and why the fabric stores quit using them. Back when the knits got so popular.

CD in Oklahoma
Old 06-25-2011, 08:18 PM

Thanks for the memory!!
Old 06-25-2011, 08:24 PM

Oh my I remember all the stories you have shared. We bought fabric at Katen Marengo's in the basement. My grandmother had a knit shop in one corner and the towels and fabric occupied the rest of the basement. I only remember getting remenants there. We had a fabric shop but don't remember the name or even buying fabric there; then came Joanns.

Thanks for sharing.
Old 06-25-2011, 09:18 PM

I remember the meters, and I remember thinking that the sales clerks' arms must get tired ripping the fabric all day long.