Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
The Good Old Days - Remembering Old Fabric Shops >

The Good Old Days - Remembering Old Fabric Shops

The Good Old Days - Remembering Old Fabric Shops

Old 06-26-2011, 07:18 AM

I think Cloth World also had them.
Old 06-26-2011, 07:21 AM

The first clothing item I made was a shirtwaist dress made in high school home ec class. It was very small blue flowers on while and the fabric came from Woolworth's. Thanks for the trip down memory lane.
Old 06-26-2011, 07:26 AM

Mom took me in the summer every year before school to JC Penney to pick out patterns and fabric for the coming year. They had those meters. My mother never quilted but she could sew beautiful garments! She was also the fastest knitter you ever saw - her fingers flew. Gosh, I miss her so.
Old 06-26-2011, 07:31 AM

I remember buying cloth and patterns for my eighth grade Home Ec. project.
Pattern was $ 0.29
Material was $ 0.79 a yard
It was a big print blue & white floral.
Had to walk across the stage at Assembly to show it.
HAPPY MEMORIES.
J J
Old 06-26-2011, 07:33 AM

The first fabric I picked out was for doll clothes. We had a store called S.A.S. in Phoenix that was filled with fabric that was overstock from factories, and was sold by the pound. You had to treasure hunt through large boxes of fabrics, all different sized pieces (small to many yards long). They had big barrels of buttons that were sold by the cupful, trim that was very inexpensive. The women who worked there had a European accent and would always take you to task if you were a child who wandered away from grandma. I loved going there. The best part is, the store is still there, so I have been shopping there for at least 45 years.
Old 06-26-2011, 07:42 AM

My first dress was a blouson made from fabric purchased from Garrs in Providence RI. I was in HS and took a sewing class at the local Singer store.

Garrs was a dark dreary place. Little drawers all over the wall filled with wonderful buttons, findings, hooks and eyes . . . You name it they had it. In the back was the cutting table and on it was the fabric meter!! Wonderful lace and bridal fabric was on the right in front and cottons and wools were further back.

Yup saw one of those meters at Joanns recently - they were using it for batting. I just laughed and said to the gal - "you are not old enough to remember that those were all they used to measure fabric" - she just gave me a real stupid look :roll: :roll:

Originally Posted by emsunfire
. . .

was that Weintrubes (sp?) . . .
In later years there was a Weintraubs in Warwick RI - they were there untill the 80. I bought great carter overstock cotton knit from there!!
Old 06-26-2011, 07:44 AM

I remember Mrs. Dean at the Fabric Store. Loved when I got a quarter and went over to buy a yard of cotton, then home to sew a new skirt. Now we are paying upward of $12 per yard. O'how I long for the old days.
Old 06-26-2011, 07:47 AM
Power Poster

I remember the meters and our town had a store where we bought "material". I still have the apron I made in sixth grade, from "material" from that store, on the school's treadle machine.
Old 06-26-2011, 07:51 AM

My mom used to buy fabric at Calverts in Augusta, KS, then at either TG&Y or JC Penney in Wichita, KS. This was back in 60's and 70's. When she died, foundtons of fabric that she never got around to using. I now have and slowly making use of it.
Old 06-26-2011, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by Luv Quilts and Cats
Oh My Gosh! I remember those! I used to think they were the neatest thing! When I was taking Home Economics in 7th grade and then Sewing my first year of high school, the only fabric shop around was down the street from me. It was called Martin's Fabrics and I loved to go in there. They had all kinds of fabric, from dress to home dec. Plus notions, rick rack, ribbon, etc. It was built like a castle in that it had two-round towers, one on each side of the business. I always like going there with my mother. They are still in business, but not at that location. Boy, this thread sure brought back some memories! My grandmother (Mother's Mother) was a profession seamstress and I think of her sewing often. This just brought it back. Thanks!
Wow Martin's .... it's so funny to see someone in the same state as me!! :) I love Martin's, I never saw it when it was in the castle building, but I have gone there many times over the past 10 years. They have actually downsized A LOT and moved buildings again I think.

Rachel