Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
YOUR quilting "style" >

YOUR quilting "style"

YOUR quilting "style"

Old 06-25-2011, 01:14 PM

I have the BQ, but have not made it up. When I saw it made up in the store I bought the pattern. The pattern pic does not do it justice. Now that I've been reminded I want to make it.
Old 06-25-2011, 01:42 PM
Power Poster

No, your response is not too late and I appreciate your reply. I'm new to the shortened abbreviations and achronyms (sp) now with twitter and facebook, but I haven't quite figured out facebook, let alone twitter. However, I will say that once I found this site, I've been hooked. It's so nice to share my love of quilting with others, learn new things, share comments with one another and most of all the beautiful quilts, which give me so much incentive and inspiration to try new things. I appreciate the website - thank you.
Old 06-25-2011, 01:44 PM

I love a lot of different things. I'd say that I'm eclectic. I adore miniatures and challenge quilts (I'm about halfway done with my Dear Jane - so far over 3,000 pieces) Midge Blocks, Nearly Insane, Crumb quilts, 3/8" hexagons, Penrose Quilting, GFG I could go on.
Old 06-25-2011, 05:32 PM

Depends on who it is for.
D
Old 06-25-2011, 05:50 PM

My "style" tends toward the 'get 'em done quick' quilts. I daresay the quilt police will be at my door but I am trying to use up my stash. Have 20 quilts to make for family for Christmas and I'd never get them done if I used conventional patterns and techniques. I piece and husband quilts on a Bernina frame. Family enjoys the quilt and uses them. Heck, they're not going to hang in Paducah!
Have decided to make only quilts, no more wallhangings. Mug rugs, table runners, place mats never appealed to me.
I hope the purists on the board remember that, traditionally, quilts were hand pieced and hand quilted ( not sent to the long armer.)
Old 06-25-2011, 06:06 PM

I guess I'm a traditionalist. I've done Dresden Plate, Jewel Box (x3), churn dash, sunbonnet sue, windblown stars, & so on. For fabrics, I like the old stand-by designs & I've just started using a few batiks.
Old 06-26-2011, 02:11 PM

:-( WOW! This must not be the place for me. I don't have the ego for that kind of criticism. Bye.
Old 06-27-2011, 01:58 AM

Originally Posted by TXyankee
I love to applique. I can make my own patterns from my own drawings. It's satisfying to see a quilt come together knowing it's my very own, unique pattern. I read a lot of quilting history and enjoy making quilts from traditional blocks. Most of my work is small, usually wall hanging size. My sewing machine is small and I like projects that I can finish before I get bored.
I love applique too. At the moment IO am finishing a scrappy quilt for my favorite uncle. I am having a break before sewing on the rest of the binding as my back is hurting real bad. I have to do a scrappy music quilt for DH with a black silhouette of a male singer, shshshshss it is to be a surprise for him. I also have an applique quilt half finished. I decided to stitch it by machine to see how it will go. Will post the pics when I get them done.
Old 06-27-2011, 02:47 AM

Sometimes, I want to make a quilt and need to feel I have accomplished something. Since I work full-time, outside the home, my quilting time is limited, so I will often choose to make something that goes fast. Other times, I want a project that I can "get lost in" and choose a more complicated quilt. Then, there are times I am possessed by a creative monster and do something intuitive, without any forethought, and sew around the clock! Just depends on my mood. I like having options, and I really like having simpler quilts, with time-saving techniques, to teach to my non-quilting friends! These are such a great way to broaden our community!
Old 06-27-2011, 03:29 AM

Originally Posted by gmacindy
It seems that I am the odd one - my eye always deviates to the Turning 20 and Brick road types of patterns, I just take graph paper and figure out my own pattern as well.
Yr not the odd one out-I too love the turning 20 and brick road and quick scrappies! I get bored with most others, I can do them, but I dont enjoy them as much. I just get excited about the scrappies! They are just so fun! No modern, or batiks for me!