Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Smoke Smell in Garage Sale Fabric >

Smoke Smell in Garage Sale Fabric

Smoke Smell in Garage Sale Fabric

Old 06-27-2011, 03:33 AM

I bought a Jeep that reeked of smoke, I sprayed it with Fabreeze, I sprayed all the fabric and carpet and it was gone. It took me doing this twice about a week apart.
Old 06-27-2011, 03:48 AM

I bought some fabric at a flea market. A lady had died and her sisters were selling her quilting notions & fabrics. Everything reeked of smoke. I'm not a smoker and I thought that I could just wash it out. I could still smell the smoke. So, I hung the pieces in my garage for several days. That helped, but it finally seemed to come out when I starched (with a lemon scented starch) and ironed them. Ugh.
Old 06-27-2011, 04:17 AM

I have tried all the tricks I've seen and have had no success. I still have a pile that I'm waiting til I have a front load maybe steam washer to try one more time, but I haven't been able to successfully use any of it. Even if I were making something for a smoker, I can spend more than five minutes working with it because I'm immediately sneezing. Maybe the Texas sun could clean it out on the line, but then you'll have fading to deal with. Good luck!
Old 06-27-2011, 04:18 AM

dryer sheets placed throughout work but I would wash everything at some point
Old 06-27-2011, 04:25 AM

yes people have such a negative attitude. smile and do the best you can. I do contiually tell people life is too short for all the complaining and drama. It also became very evident after my husband died in Ocotober it will be two years. SMILE
I sometime long for someone to talk to or write to I am [email protected] if you ever like to chat
Old 06-27-2011, 04:43 AM

What has always worked for me is to just hang the fabric on the clothes line for a few hours then wash in boraxo and cold water. Then line dry, I never use the dryer on my fabric. Yes cows are a problem, my DH put my clothes lines on our west porch. I wash on the south porch and dry on the west porch. Works like a charm. I very seldom use any commercial chemicals on our laundry. I will PM you with a soap powder recipe you might like.
Old 06-27-2011, 04:49 AM

I'm thrilled with your find, but I think I would try some of the suggestions here and then when you are ready to use a piece, wash it with a cup of vinegar and detergent and use that piece or two. Good luck and congratulations on your find.
Old 06-27-2011, 04:51 AM

Originally Posted by didi
If you have the big plastic tubs, get baking soda,( I get mine at the Dollar Store), sprinkle the whole box between the fabric and close it up for a few days or until you can wash....put the soda in the water when you wash, will take the smell out.
Baking soda and vinegar are a huge help around the laundry room. Maybe a dash of vinegar in the wash water would do nicely.
Old 06-27-2011, 04:56 AM

i would try the safegaurd soap or charcol
Old 06-27-2011, 05:00 AM

This may sound very strange but those of us who were lucky enough to save any of our refrigerator's or freezer's after Hurricane Katrina, we placed crunched up newspaper and coffee grinds in the refrigerator along with baking soda to obsorb the odors. It worked, so maybe you could put the fabric in containers with crunched up newspaper and some type of container that you can place baking soda and coffee grinds in until you can wash the fabric. Someone also mentioned that washing in Simply Green can take odors out of fabric, but I have never tried that. Good Luck.