Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Introduce Yourself
Hello From East Texas >

Hello From East Texas

Hello From East Texas

Old 06-27-2011, 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by GGinMcKinney
Howdy, from McKinney, TX.
I have a cathedral window quilt in progress. I stitch all the way through so the back is quilted as I go. I put 4 together and then put those together in a larger unit. Then whip stitch those together. Mine is entirely stitched by hand. May take years. Ha!
If doing it again I would probably not stitch all the way through. I am going through 7 layers of fabric at times. It becomes difficult on the hands. Ha! Love this pattern.
Wellcome to QB. Hope you enjoy this board has much as I do.
Wow...that is going to be beautiful! I too love cathedral window quilts but have never even dreamed of making one I am sure all those layers are hard to stitch through!
A joke on me...I have a very dear friend who lives in Dallas and I was reading a book--nonfiction--and the author kept saying she lived in the hills of east Texas--well my friend kept saying there were no hills there--she is a native Texan and she said absolutely not--but what about the author I asked? ha ha--my friend said if I was was that hard headed come out and find me a hill! So...how about it? Any hills near you? giggle
Old 06-27-2011, 07:59 AM

Welcome from Central Texas. You will enjoy this board.
Old 06-27-2011, 08:00 AM

Hello and welcome from the Arkansas Ozarks.
Happy quilting.
Old 06-27-2011, 08:55 AM

Welcome from East Texas-Palestine.
Old 06-27-2011, 08:59 AM

Howdy - from a fellow Texan
Old 06-27-2011, 09:25 AM

Well, now that you ask, the author was accurate. We Texans just know we don't have beautiful mountains like other folks do. We are used to large items. Those little hills don't amount to much. I went to Gilmer this weekend and came home the back way through Harmony. Yes, there were rolling hills and lake(s). It was not more than a spot in the road, but beautiful. The name "Harmony" sure fit. There are hills west of Ft. Worth. Possum Kingdom Lake is known for hills to dive off into lake. Cedar Hill has many tv towers because it is atop a hill.
Old 06-27-2011, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by ann1083
Originally Posted by GGinMcKinney
Howdy, from McKinney, TX.
I have a cathedral window quilt in progress. I stitch all the way through so the back is quilted as I go. I put 4 together and then put those together in a larger unit. Then whip stitch those together. Mine is entirely stitched by hand. May take years. Ha!
If doing it again I would probably not stitch all the way through. I am going through 7 layers of fabric at times. It becomes difficult on the hands. Ha! Love this pattern.
Wellcome to QB. Hope you enjoy this board has much as I do.
Wow...that is going to be beautiful! I too love cathedral window quilts but have never even dreamed of making one I am sure all those layers are hard to stitch through!
A joke on me...I have a very dear friend who lives in Dallas and I was reading a book--nonfiction--and the author kept saying she lived in the hills of east Texas--well my friend kept saying there were no hills there--she is a native Texan and she said absolutely not--but what about the author I asked? ha ha--my friend said if I was was that hard headed come out and find me a hill! So...how about it? Any hills near you? giggle
There are lots of hills in Austin. Where I live there a lot too. In Jacksonville there is a place called Lover's Lookout & it is way up there.
Old 06-27-2011, 10:01 AM

Hi from Natchez, Ms.
Old 06-27-2011, 10:29 AM

I definitely have stumbled into the right place! Thank you all again for the warm welcome! I am feeling the love! (giggle)

As far as the "hills?"... when I go on my walks, my legs say that would be a yes, lol. I don't have the beautiful huge hills but I have lots of dips and valleys where I am. Lake Sam Rayburn is 3 miles up the road.

I have spent the morning (w/coffee in hand) reading up on navigating the forum. I did learn how to do that signature, so I will see how it looks. I had a hard time choosing font, lol. I am wanting to start a thread, topic, or something titled "Cathedral Window, Join the Journey" but have not figured out where I need to put it just yet. I suppose I need to read some more about the "virtual" threads, too. It would be nice for those of us working on one and those wanting to try it to come together in one place.

Teresa
Old 06-27-2011, 10:48 AM

Hi and welcome from Arizona.