Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Buying a sewing machine >

Buying a sewing machine

Buying a sewing machine

Old 06-27-2011, 10:03 AM

I was in the same boat a few years ago. I looked at reviews online and bought a Kenmore from Sears for around $90. It is super-basic mechanical, but I learned how to sew on it. It look a lot of user error and never was fussy with me like a computerized machine can be. Last year I bought a $800 machine with bells and whistles, but kept the Kenmore as a backup. I don't feel like I wasted money since I got 2 years of sewing for $90.

Good luck!
Old 06-27-2011, 10:04 AM

Please start out with a used machine. By chance, does a relative have a machine that they would be willing to give or lend to you while you are learning? Save your money for a good machine for after you have learned to sew and see if you like to sew. Tell the dealer that you are interested in a low cost used basic machine for now since you are just learning how to sew. You could even tell him that you want to hold off buying the better machine until you have gotten the basic steps down and know what you are doing. Tell him you want a just basic starter model and a lot of lessons.
Old 06-27-2011, 10:07 AM

Honestly, if you've never sewn before, I'd start out with a cheaper machine. I got a Brother for about $80 off Amazon.com and it's a great machine.
Old 06-27-2011, 10:11 AM

I'm going to swim against the stream here a little. It will probably be hard to find a cheap used machine that is in good working order, or at best it's a matter of luck if you don't know what you're looking for. There are some to be found, but it's hard to know without having it checked out by an experienced person. A bad machine, old or new, might sour you on sewing.

Whatever you buy, do your homework. There is a lot of information on this site about various kinds of machines, and you can also usually find a yahoo group for devotees of specific machines or brands and vintages. If you are considering something new, there are reviews on sites like Amazon. User feedback is not always reliable - sometimes the user is quick to blame a machine for something that resulted from user error, but it still might be an indication of how user-friendly a machine is.

If you have the wherewithal to afford a more expensive new machine, it should hold its value enough to offset much of the cost when sold in a few years if you decide you just don't like sewing after all. Good luck, and let us know what you decide!
Old 06-27-2011, 10:24 AM

One thing I have always liked about the Viking Galleries at Jo-Anns is their trade-in policy - I think it is 100% if you trade-up within a year. This might allow you to start out with a lower level machine to find out if you really enjoy sewing, and yet be able to trade up with no loss if you find out that you would like a more complex machine later on.

Possibly, the other dealer might offer something similar, but try to get it in writing if you can.
Old 06-27-2011, 11:24 AM

One caveat about buying machines from the Vikings inside Joannes, is that many of them are closing!! Mine closed here a few months ago and many folks have posted about their's closing too. I'd stick with buying from a local dealer(I bet they have quality used machines there). Buying from Craigs List as a newbie would be very risky in that you simply won't know if it's a good machine or not. Your local dealer should be able to give you options as used machines with warranties and classes.
Old 06-27-2011, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by Candace
One caveat about buying machines from the Vikings inside Joannes, is that many of them are closing!! Mine closed here a few months ago and many folks have posted about their's closing too. I'd stick with buying from a local dealer(I bet they have quality used machines there). Buying from Craigs List as a newbie would be very risky in that you simply won't know if it's a good machine or not. Your local dealer should be able to give you options as used machines with warranties and classes.
I agree, a lot of dealers have good quality used machines that the customer trades up with. Many of them are only a year old and are in great working order. The dealer will clean and service the machine before it's sold too, so that's a plus.
Old 06-27-2011, 11:46 AM

We bought my mom a cheap Brother from Jo-Ann's. She has never complained or had any problems with it but I used it last weekend and what a piece of crap! It is such a chintzy machine!
I would buy a basic used machine from a sewing machine shop where you can get some lessons. If you like sewing, you can replace it in a few years and get all the extras that you might want.
Old 06-27-2011, 12:02 PM

Good advice
Old 06-27-2011, 12:08 PM

I'd start with new from a dealer. Something like a Babylock Gracie or a Brother from a dealer, not a discount store. That way if anything goes wrong, you have a person to help.

I love my vintage machines, but I'm not sure I'd recommend one as a first machine.