migraine

Old 06-28-2011, 08:31 AM

Sorry you have to suffer with this awful pain. Mine are from a head injury from when I was three.

I currently that Topomax daily to try to prevent the headaches but if one bleeds thru I have Maxalt which I take at night. Usually I wake up feeling much better.

I will say that weather changes caused me the greatest problem and I watch what foods I eat. No shrimp - very little chocolate - peanut butter or peanut products - bananas and alcohol. It was a trial and error process but seems to work for me.

Alot of women do infact (out grow) this with menopause.

Hope you feel better soon. I know it that so much out of you to go thru it.
Old 06-28-2011, 09:18 AM

I used to have migraines frequently and my son and granddaughter have them also. They are caused from the blood vessels in the brain being constricted. When I was in nursing school one of the instructors sent me off the floor to the cafeteria and told me to get a couple of tablespoons of the hottest salsa/hot sauce/peppers that I could stand and swallow them or eat it with some chips. I thought she was nuts but since the meds I had taken for it weren't working decided to give it a try. Within 15 minutes it was totally gone! The hot peppers contain capsaicin which opens up the blood vessels. I now keep capsaicin capsules (also called cayenne) in the medicine cabinet and take them when ever I feel a migraine coming on. My granddaughter says they are hard on her stomach but I always make sure I take mine with food and have never had a problem.
Ann in TN
Old 06-28-2011, 10:06 AM

I had migraine headaches for 45 years. Mine were all associated with the menstral cycle. I went to the Diamond Headache Clinic in Chicago and they put me on Nardil. It is a potent drug but it helped a great deal. Dr. Diamond had me keep a journal of what caused headaches. What I ate, what was the weather, what was my state of mind, etc. There are certain foods that will trigger them. Any kind of food with a slippery texture; bananas, chocolate, hot dogs, sausages, avacado, etc. When I finished with the change of life, the migraines went away. I still have a headached once in a while, but two Tylenol kills it. Good luck. I knew truly what they meant when they said why do you hit your head against the wall, it feels so good when you stop. It was very hard for me to keep a professional life, be a wife and mother, and all the other things.
Old 06-28-2011, 10:23 AM

I've had them since my early 20's (I'm 52 now) and when I get a pounder I take a BC Powder or Excedrin, drink some caffeinated coffee, lie down in a dark room with an ice pack or two, and try to get to sleep if at all possible.
Old 06-28-2011, 10:27 AM

I find that an antihistamine works like a charm. Much better than Aleve or other pain killers. Chlortrimeton is the one -- just in case there's an allergy component.
Old 06-28-2011, 10:48 AM

I usually use Imitrex, which is a prescription, but if that does not work, or I am in the mood for chocolate, I drink a 20 ounce regular Pepsi, 2 Hershies bars, and some bacon if it is handy. Usually gets rid of it in 30 minutes. when I had them all the time, I gained a bit of weight with this remedy.
Phyllis
Old 06-28-2011, 11:10 AM

Imitrex is still my prescription, but it doesn't always work with me, but sometimes Excedrin Migraine (can't use the other one), 85% pure cacao and a real can of Coca Cola *sometimes* help too.
Old 06-28-2011, 11:23 AM

I have had migraines for over 30 years. After trying several OTC meds, I needed something stronger. I keep Zomig with me. I can usually abort a headache in 45 minutes. I still have to be in a dark room, no movement, and no loud noises. I usually feel very drained after a headache. My doctor has also put me on preventive medicine which has been such a blessing. He said one migraine is one too many. Talk with your doctor and see if you can get help. Migraines are horrible!
Old 06-28-2011, 11:25 AM
Google Goddess

I hope you are feeling better soon, I sure miss you in live chat, take care!
Old 06-28-2011, 12:43 PM

I was lucky enough years ago, to find a neurosurgeon who was doing research on migraines. He told me about his work with what they called " cerebral allergies". He helped me figure out what were my 'triggers'. I have issues with nitrites (think sausage, bacon, lunchmeat, etc.), chlorine, and wine. I have to avoid all of them, forever, but I haven't had one in 20+ years. I hope the pain is gone for you by now, but what he did, was ask me to keep a 'mouth diary' to record everything I put in my mouth.(Even water, and where it came from) I did this for months before we found the patterns. Big thank you to Dr. Chang! Maybe it could help you? (One sip of wine will have me crawling on the floor begging for death.) Blessed Be!