Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
I need a boost/encouragement! >

I need a boost/encouragement!

I need a boost/encouragement!

Old 06-28-2011, 09:29 AM

You might also check if any of the churches in your area have a sewing/quilting/craft group. Those may be more accepting of people who haven't yet reached perfection (BTW bet the critic you mentioned hasn't either)!
Old 06-28-2011, 09:34 AM

((((HUGS!)))) I would love to offer more than encouragement on how to do the miter corner on binding, but i'm still struggeling with that myself. I do okay to sew down the front side but when I have to flip to back side and do the miter I have issues.
Don't let the people at the senior center get you down. Maybe you could go to one of the LQS and get assistance from someone. I have notice that most of them have at least one day a week where you can bring your unfinised projects in to work on and get help. Good luck.

Some of the online tutorials are great on Youtube. I have gotten a lot of help from some of them. Just do a search. Check the tutorials here on the site to.
Old 06-28-2011, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by BeckyL
Before I finally mastered mitered corners, I would round off the corners of my quilts, (I used a dinner plate for my shaping) and the bindings went on great and they look nice the way they hang from the bed. Maybe you could try "killing with kindness" when the old folks are being hyper critical. Tell them you really appreciate their advice and maybe someday you will be able to do it "as well as they do". I bet that will make them hush.
This is a great idea. I think I'll try it! Thanks!
Old 06-28-2011, 10:03 AM

Don't give up! The others were right! Babies are all different sizes. I crochet hats and booties to go with each quilt or blankets. They are different sizes!
Unfortunaly some older ppl are spiteful and complainers! U won't be able to change her much. I've heard it said. If ur nice younger ur mean older and vice versa!! I worked a nursing home for yrs! I'm going to be one mean ol' lady! Lol
If ur not happy there go ssomewhere else! Lifes too short!!
Do what makes u happy.
The babies and moms are happy! Most importantly to me - God is happy. I'm like u trying to be productive with my time. Then I give away or put in a bin until I have enough to give away. I have 4-5 bins. Think I need to find a charity?? Lol
Old 06-29-2011, 02:07 AM

Here is a great big hug all the way from Australia. Aren't you the lucky one, being able to do things that you like doing! Keep it up, and enjoy yourself. As for mitred corners, mine don't turn out so great either, but practice makes perfect I've been told. So, lets both keep at it, and not let it get us down! We make things with love, and that's a big plus.
Old 06-29-2011, 02:07 AM

Here is a great big hug all the way from Australia. Aren't you the lucky one, being able to do things that you like doing! Keep it up, and enjoy yourself. As for mitred corners, mine don't turn out so great either, but practice makes perfect I've been told. So, lets both keep at it, and not let it get us down! We make things with love, and that's a big plus.

ps - sorry, must have either pressed too hard on the button, or pressed it twice. Anyway, at least you get double hugs!!
Old 06-29-2011, 03:02 AM

You keep doing the wonderful charity work you are doing with the preemie items. I teach crochet in our local schools at night and believe me, this is a wonderful thing you are doing. I donate to Project Linus and make hats for the local hospital too and they are so valued. Don't listen to people who say too big or too small. :roll: There is never a wrong way with charity. Without us, the babies would have those ugly cotton stretch hats with no class. :lol: Giving is how we love on other people.
Old 06-29-2011, 03:02 AM

1234Irene, thanks so much for sharing your blessings! and these are supposed to be donated to the neicu at hospitalsl. so again thank you for sharing! and PTL!!
Old 06-29-2011, 03:12 AM

Ladies, you just don't know how much this means to me, you have given me the confidence to keep on going, and yes maybe I do need to find somewhere else to go. Which I have dsiscovered one just recently, and not far from where I do live. They meet tomorrow.

again thanks for all your encouraging words! I really needed them. Someone told me not to sweat the small stuff, and just keep practicing the mitered corners, the round ones do just as good. so thats what I am going to do. practice, and do what I like doing.

hugs back to you all!

Mary...psychomomquilter
Old 06-29-2011, 03:27 AM

Originally Posted by Psychomomquilter
Ok now! and yes I will keep the negatives at bay! again thanks

so on to practicing the corners!
mary quitte contrary! love it!
Wish you were nearby...I would give you a hug and help you out! Keep up the good work.