Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Tutorials
Coloring With Crayons, Transfer Crayons, And Watercolor Pencils >

Coloring With Crayons, Transfer Crayons, And Watercolor Pencils

Coloring With Crayons, Transfer Crayons, And Watercolor Pencils

Old 06-28-2011, 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by teacherbailey
Wow....thanks! I've always read that the watercolor pencils have to be finished off with more than just an iron; I think somewhere I saw that they needed to be gone over with some kind of gel medium to really be permanent? Can anybody comment? Have you used these in a quilt that was washed a few times, and did they stay bright?
Yes, I remember reading on this board somewhere that you need to use Aloe gel. Not the colored kind, the clear pure Aloe.
Old 06-29-2011, 03:48 AM

Gayle
Thanks for the great tute. I intend to do this with all of the handprints that my kids signed their cards to their grammy. She kept them of course. If and when I get that done, I do have a few ufos and lots of semi started qults. But this will move to the top of the list, maybe a Christmas gift for Grammy.
Old 06-29-2011, 03:54 AM

Originally Posted by snicktrain
Originally Posted by teacherbailey
Wow....thanks! I've always read that the watercolor pencils have to be finished off with more than just an iron; I think somewhere I saw that they needed to be gone over with some kind of gel medium to really be permanent? Can anybody comment? Have you used these in a quilt that was washed a few times, and did they stay bright?
Yes, I remember reading on this board somewhere that you need to use Aloe gel. Not the colored kind, the clear pure Aloe.
Aloe vera gel only activates the color. Then heat set to make it semi-permanent.

Gel medium will make it permanent (I am told).

If you want to have colored pencil be permanent with less trouble, use ... Derwent Inktense pencils which are actually ink and are permanent when activated with moisture like water or aloe vera gel which will prevent bleeding.
Old 06-29-2011, 07:13 AM

Thanks for the great tutorial. I just purchased water color crayons for a project and plan to try it soon, your tutorial will help get me started.
Old 06-29-2011, 05:32 PM

I just have to add that we completed a quilt with over 100 kids at a Vacation Bible School using muslin squares and plain old reliable Crayola crayons. I heat-set the squares with a dry iron and squares facing right side down on paper towels. Put the quilt together today. Great results! The colors are set and the quilt looks great. Minimum investment for maximum results!
Old 06-29-2011, 05:36 PM

It sounds like a great technique. I hope you'll share a picture of the quilt. I'm sure the kids loved doing this and seeing the outcome when ironed.
Old 06-30-2011, 05:19 AM

Sounds like a huge undertaking with a huge payout. I sure hope that you find a great spot in your church to display it. We have just a muslin printed with the kids handprints displayed in the Sunday School hallway and the kids still stop to find theirs almost a decade later. Great job. People will love it.
Old 06-30-2011, 05:43 AM

I took a class in the crayola art. I really enjoyed it. I'm anxious to try the pencil one. Thanks for reminding me.
Old 06-30-2011, 05:52 AM

Thanks, something else to go on my to-do list.
Old 06-30-2011, 01:17 PM

Thanks Mummadee for your words of encouragement. It actually went together in three days. The kids did their squares on Monday and the sewing took place nights. Admmittedly not my most careful quilting job--lots of SID with embroidered squares highlighting the church name, year, and theme of this year's camp. Resting up for next year's challenge!