Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
First of all, to each His/Her own!!! >

First of all, to each His/Her own!!!

First of all, to each His/Her own!!!

Old 06-30-2011, 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by Zhillslady
Absolutely. I had a quilt teacher tell me yesterday I can't FMQ with Isacord polyester as we don't know how well it will hold up in 100 years. I love it and use it all the time.
who care 100 yrs from now -
Old 06-30-2011, 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by janRN
Linda what a great topic. I was feeling kinda blue because I read that some quilters "only" use LQS fabrics or "only" use expensive threads. I'm unemployed so I use what I can afford. Call me a cheap date, but my quilts turn out just fine and my machine sews best with good ol' Coates & Clark thread.
I really don't think there are any "only"s or "must do"s--just enjoy what you do and do it with love.
My grandmother's beautiful quilts are made from my grandfather's cut up shirts and nightshirts, and from hers and my mother's cut up dresses and nightgowns. She would have been appalled at the cost of thread and fabric nowadays.

Further, time marches on. Attitudes that cling to old and time-consuming methods at the expense of modern ones aren't realistic. We don't weave our own cloth any more, nor do we spin our own thread!
Old 06-30-2011, 06:27 AM

I am with you, try it you might like it! That is what my mom used to say and it is still so true. Gemladi
Old 06-30-2011, 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by abdconsultant
join my next swap and you'll get to try something different.

What's your next swap, and when does it begin?
Old 06-30-2011, 06:31 AM

If we didn't try new things we would still be in high button shoes! We have alot of new horizons to explore.
Old 06-30-2011, 06:32 AM

I went to a Ricky Tims lecture and he is from small town America and he supports his local quilt shops and suggested we all do the same. He also understands that some people can only purchase fabric from discount stores and he said the important thing is to do what you love "QUILT".

I for one have seen so many beautiful old quilts that were made from every frabric available. I was fortunate enough to help put blocks together into a pattern for 5 queen size quilts from old donated fabrics from clothes. I will post some of the photos. I love quilting and will use what is needed to keep on quilting and suggest everyone do the same.
Old 06-30-2011, 06:36 AM

Love experiencing the learning of new things. Cannot be closed minded these days and you will lose out quickly. Variety is the spice of life..........it's what keeps things going and makes life interesting!
Old 06-30-2011, 06:50 AM
Power Poster

I think even "way back when" - whenever that was -

there were the "fancy" quilts that used "good, new" fabric - the wedding quilt, for example - made with great care

the family "everyday" ones - less expensive fabric, the odds and ends left over from making clothing - well made, but not overly labored over

"the hired man's quilts" - tended to be skimpy, made of "whatever" - probably made to hold together, but not much "extra" went into them
Old 06-30-2011, 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by Linda71
It always surprises me when someone says "I would NEVER do/try/use/ or whatever". My mother has a friend who quilts and she will not go to a quilt show because "People use MACHINES to quilt-That is not REAL quilting".

I will try any thread, material, technique, anything new or old, and I will use or do it. I love trying new and different things and materials and threads, whatever. The only requirement is I must ENJOY it.
I think many of the women who had no such option would love having a sewing machine.
Old 06-30-2011, 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by Linda71
It always surprises me when someone says "I would NEVER do/try/use/ or whatever". My mother has a friend who quilts and she will not go to a quilt show because "People use MACHINES to quilt-That is not REAL quilting".

I will try any thread, material, technique, anything new or old, and I will use or do it. I love trying new and different things and materials and threads, whatever. The only requirement is I must ENJOY it.
Back in the "Good Old Days" in the latter part of the 1800's a status symbol was a sewing machine. They weren't just used for decoration. They sewed clothing, and "gasp" QUILTS on those things. It was the most marvelous invention for women ever. If you go to quilt museums you will find a lot of quilts made in the 1870's on up that were pieced AND quilted on the sewing machine. Don't ever let somebody tell you that "real" quilters only do things by hand. That's an elitist attitude and comes from the fact that well-to-do women (without a job and with household help) had/have time to sit and handpiece everything.