Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
walking foot crisis >

walking foot crisis

walking foot crisis

Old 06-30-2011, 10:20 AM

Hey wattse2000... don't be devastated. Your wonky stars quilt is really beautiful!
I too just got my first walking foot and am very excited to try it out. Thanks to you for putting yourself out there, because all these answers from so many knowledgeable quilters is a goldmine of helpfulness.
My grandmother once told me that the Amish would actually put imperfections in their quilts on purpose, because the only perfection was supposed to be in God. I remember thinking that those quilters must think very highly of themselves. Heh heh heh. Seriously though, if quilts had to be perfect, I think many of us would give up. Enjoy the beauty you have created!
Old 06-30-2011, 11:14 AM

What is done is done but the next time when you have a lot of starting and stoping try this. Put your stitch length at "0" stitch 3 or 4 stitches and than set the length to the regurlar stitch length. Than when you come to the end do the same thing 3 or 4 stitches at "0" this will knot the stitches.
Old 06-30-2011, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by valsma
I'm sure someone with more experience will be able to tell you more but I will tell you what I have found works for me.

First according to the instructions that came with the walking feet for both my machines, you shouldn't backstitch with the walking foot. When I start quilting I take 1 stitch and use the top thread to pull the bobbin thread through to the top of the fabric, then continue stitching. When I reach the end of the line of stitches im sewing I take an extra stitch then cut the bobbin and the top thread. I use the top thread to pull that last bobbin stitch up enough to use a pin to pull the bobbin thread thtough to the top. When I get a bunch of hanging threads I take the time to knot the two threads then use a needle to hide the threads into the quilting between the top and the batting. I have been told by others that this will secure the threads and it shouldn't come apart anytime soon.
I don't know if this makes sence but it is working for me but I will be interested to see if someone else has more ideas. Good luck.
Totally agree. Never backstitch when FMQ or stitch in the ditch. It makes for a nest on the back. Hard lesson learned, but don't take it out, you are the only one who knows.
Old 06-30-2011, 01:48 PM

I would not worry too much about it, the front is so nice. If it was bothering me I would stitch in the ditch from top to bottom and across from side to side. The quilt is very nice, you see I have this thought too that applies to my hair, too. If the front looks good, so what about the back? lol
Old 06-30-2011, 02:18 PM

Ha! Funny:) I'll use that too since I'm actually experiencing a hair crisis as well! I'm more worried about it unraveling than its looks. I may try to "stitch in the ditch" to hold it together. Good idea!

Originally Posted by judylg
I would not worry too much about it, the front is so nice. If it was bothering me I would stitch in the ditch from top to bottom and across from side to side. The quilt is very nice, you see I have this thought too that applies to my hair, too. If the front looks good, so what about the back? lol
Old 06-30-2011, 03:17 PM

What I do for a large pattern like this is adjust my stitch length to a shorter length to start out and then make it longer and when I get close to the end start again with reducing the stitch length. This way it's not so obvious. It takes practice. Pam
Old 06-30-2011, 05:30 PM
Dee

Don't worry it'll last. Looks pretty.
Old 06-30-2011, 07:20 PM

You are suppose to put your needle down when you are starting to quilt, pick up the thread from under , pull it up through then take 5 small stitches. This way you don't have to worry about your stitches. I think there is a tut on this but can't remember where.
Old 07-01-2011, 09:49 AM

Use Fray Check - it dries clear AND soft. I back stitch with my walking foot all the time.
Old 07-01-2011, 09:56 AM

Your quilt is beautiful. I don't think you have to worry about the back as much as you might think. The front will be the side displayed. Yea, I don't back stitch with the walking foot either, been there; done that. :)