Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Walmart Clearance Machines >

Walmart Clearance Machines

Walmart Clearance Machines

Old 07-01-2011, 06:08 AM

Remember these are sold at Walmart, not Walmart machines. That being said, I have a Brother that was a rebuilt NOT top of the line. I bought the walking foot and the darning foot, etc. I had a lot of trouble with it which I attributed to my lack of experience. Several others in our group had purchased the Singer 7469Q and I was encouraged to follow. I finally did after 6 - 8 months. World of difference for me. Again, I emphasize that the lower end Brother was not good for me, an inexperienced seamstress who jumped right into quilting
Old 07-01-2011, 06:10 AM

I have the Project Runway Limited Edition CE-5000PRW. I love it. It's a great machine for the price, sews perfectly. The only trouble I a having with it is free motion quilting and the bobbin thread. I can't seem to get the tension right, but I think it's more human error than the machine. I am a newbie to sewing as well as FMQ and I am pretty sure I'm doing something wrong. Otherwise, it's a great machine. Oh and I still have not used all the decorative stitches it has. I have had it almost a year now and it is a workhorse, with the right needle, there's no stpping this machine lol
Old 07-01-2011, 06:22 AM

I bought the Brother SQ9000 from Walmart about a year ago so that I would have a machine to take to classes. I've been very pleased. My main machine is a Bernina 440 but it's way too heavy to carry around. I have the directions for the Brother SQ9000 to change the default needle position when you turn the machine on (I changed mine to center), and to change the needle so it defaults to needle up. The default positions are very easy to change. If anyone needs the directions, just send me an email.
Old 07-01-2011, 06:23 AM

TeddyB1967: have you tried the thin rubber bobbin case washers? they go in the bobbin case and they do help on some machines. you get them from LQS or quilt catalogs, i cut one out of a flat, rubber gripper bottle opener(one of those advertising ones from our local bank) for my daughter-in-law to put in her machine.
Old 07-01-2011, 06:43 AM

I have a Brother SE350 which I bought at WM 3 years ago. I use it every day. It has a beautiful stitch. I had a problem last fall when the feed dogs slipped down. Called a private sewing machine repair shop and he fixed, cleaned, an adjusted it in a matter of 3 days. I told him that I had a back up machine but this one was my favorite. My back up machine was also purchased at WM.
Old 07-01-2011, 07:29 AM

hmmm, I think I will go to my local Walmart and check it out...I have been looking at their brother machines in the past. I now have a viking, but I like the little table on the one brother, altho DH has cut me a plexi makeshift one for this machine. I don't take any of my machines to a quilt store for repairs/cleaning, did once and got ripped off, said cleaned, did not!!! Never went back for anything.....there are authorized sewing machine repair shops around.....and if you keep the machine's moving parts as clear of lint as you can, by compressed air, "lint mop" the thing will go for a long time.....JMHO
Old 07-01-2011, 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by reeskylr
I know some don't or won't purchase a Walmart machine, but, to those who would purchase, I have a dilemma.

My Walmart is moving some machines out because they are going to be bringing new ones in. So they are really marked down for clearance and one is the Brother 80 stitch that is normally 199.99.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Brother-80...chine/14237606

It is marked down to 154.00.

There is also the Brother Project Runway which normally sells for 149.00. http://www.walmart.com/ip/Brother-50...chine/14237605

Marked down to 109.00

Which one is the best deal. I'm leaning toward the 80 stitch due to the table it comes with. But, the Project Runway is consumer's Digest Best Buy and would save me a few dollars when money is tight.

Oh right now I have a 10 year plus Baby Lock Proline with like 20 stitches. Never ever had a problem with it, I just want one that does a bit more and it is time to upgrade.
Thanks for any input.
If you have a Babylock dealer in your area they probably can service/repair a Brother machine. Our dealer services all brands of machines including my Viking (some of them).
Old 07-01-2011, 07:35 AM

Buy it while they've got it! My 14 year old baby died 2 days ago (motherboard, original price $2500). After a severe mourning period I went shopping for a new machine. My dealer tried to sell me on a Babylock Molly; 1/4 the features and 2x (sale) the price of the SQ9000. I bought the SQ9000. At $154 I won't grieve nearly as bad if it dies before I do!
Old 07-01-2011, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by janjer
TeddyB1967: have you tried the thin rubber bobbin case washers? they go in the bobbin case and they do help on some machines. you get them from LQS or quilt catalogs, i cut one out of a flat, rubber gripper bottle opener(one of those advertising ones from our local bank) for my daughter-in-law to put in her machine.

Thanks for the info. I will have to give this a shot and see if it works for me.
Old 07-01-2011, 08:54 AM

If money is tight go with the cheaper one.

I have the other one and it sews well for what it does.

Go with what you feel you can afford and is best for you right now.

I don't think you'll have issues with either one of them.