Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Broken toe - will it ever heal? >

Broken toe - will it ever heal?

Broken toe - will it ever heal?

Old 07-01-2011, 09:04 AM

I've broken the small toe on my left foot twice (caught on the corner of a wall as I ran to answer the phone & landed wrong stepping down out of a trailer) and on my right foot once (my horse decided to stand on it & not move). I have to say that all three times I did not go to the doctor, just let them heal on their own and yes, it took a number of weeks before they stopped hurting. They stayed tender for a long time afterwards & both are a bit deformed now. And even to this day I have a problem with the fit of closed toe shoes. The seam/stitching for the tounge often hits right on my deformed little toes. Makes shoe shopping interesting.
Old 07-01-2011, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltMania
Done that. It took several weeks to heal. Put a little bit of cotton between the injured toe and the one next to it. Use medical tape to tape it to the one next to it and then a couple times around the foot to immobilize the toe. That's what the doctor did for my DS when he broke his toe.
This was exactly what I was going to say. Works well for jammed/sprained fingers, too.
Old 07-01-2011, 10:26 AM

I knew I wasn't alone in this. I can wear shoes - I've worn the open heel 'easyspirit' shoes since it happened. I feel that gives my foot support and protection around that little toe. I'm not having as much pain as it being tender and sore. Of course, I'm still hobbling/limping to try to keep the foot straight and not bend any toes. It's awkward to continually walk this way! lol.
Old 07-01-2011, 10:51 AM

They really don't do much for broken toes. Sometimes it helps to tape it to the one next to it.
Old 07-01-2011, 11:26 AM

Have broken toes several times over the years and never went to the doctor but if you have other health problems you may want to reconsider going to get it checked out - my worst break was when I was in my 30's and stubbed my little toe against the leg of a chair - it was in April and it still hurt to wear shoes that fall - now its just a weather toe - but I broke my foot last fall and was in a cast / boot until Feb because of my age, weight, etc - thank goodness I'm not diabetic or I'd still probably have the stupid thing on - good luck on your recovery
Old 07-01-2011, 12:38 PM

Actually there are many little bones in your foot and any one of them could also be broken depending on how you whacked your foot. Not to scare you, but if you don't look into it and one of those little bones is broken and healing in the wrong place you could be in for a lot of trouble.
Old 07-01-2011, 12:56 PM

I broke my little toe when I was in junior high. Got x-rays and the doctor told me to put a cotton ball in between my baby toe and the one right next to it, then tape them together with medical tape. He also told me to keep it elevated for the next few days.

The next day in English class, there was no one sitting at the desk in front of me, so I plopped my foot up on the chair. Ms. Pitts (boy, did she deserve her name) told me to put my feet on the floor. I explained to her that I had broken my toe and the doc told me to keep it elevated. She came over, looked at my foot, and pooh-poohed my explanation, saying that if I HAD broken my toe, I would be in a cast. She said I was lying and to put my foot on the floor. I refused. I told her if she had a problem with my foot sitting on that chair, she could call my mother at work. I then informed her that my mother was the secretary for the school district's superintendent. She didn't speak to me for the rest of the week. :)
Old 07-01-2011, 12:56 PM

I've done that many times, as I never wear shoes. They can't do anything for broken toes. So don't waste your money. It just takes time. You can tape them together, so they can't part when you walk (limp) Other than that, you are on your own. I found that out several times.
Old 07-01-2011, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by nance-ell
My foot in motion slammed into an immovable object (the tire stop in my garage). :thumbdown: It was the day of my family reunion, so I limp around, get the car loaded and head out. The pain wasn't really all that bad that day. Then I take my shoes and socks off that evening and it's already turning a nice deep shade of purple. Next day, all my toes are purple and 1/2 of my foot too! The bruising is almost all gone, but I'm still limping. It's my little toe - still swollen and so, so sore. :( I haven't had it x-rayed. Not sure that it's worth spending the money. Just wondering how long it's going to be before I can walk normally. Anyone else done such a crazy thing?
I broke my toe once! Hurts like hell!!!!!!! You cannot splint a broken toe. What you do is buddy wrap the toe that is broken to the next toe that is not. Keep it wrapped until you can put your finger between the broken toe and the next toe and if it doesn't hurt anymore, you can remove the buddy wrap and you are set to go. A buddy wrap is tape wrapped around the two toes. Not necessary to go to a doctor or emergency. This is exactly what they would do. How do I know, you ask? Our next door neighbor is a doctor and she said yes it was broken, this is what you do. Also our husband/wife doctors across the alley said the same thing. So who better than three doctors to tell me what I already knew and had buddy wrapped it myself. Cried a lot, but I did it. I tripped on the gate that we use to keep the dog out of our bedroom. Serves me right, I guess. It takes a couple of months, but it'll be just fine! Really! Edie
Old 07-01-2011, 01:29 PM

I have done the same thing dozens of times. I went to the dr. xrays etc and all they did is tape to next toe and said ice for swelling and say off of it as much as you can. ha Ha like you really can do that.
It well take a few weeks to get back to normal.
oh ouch it's a killer
good luck kjm Kathy