Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
I am so ashamed of the way my sewing room looks >

I am so ashamed of the way my sewing room looks

I am so ashamed of the way my sewing room looks

Old 07-01-2011, 10:20 AM

As others have said....go easy...give yourself a break. Surgery takes the wind out of your sails...it will take a while to feel like you really want to dive in and organize.
When you are feeling stronger, do little things. Put a couple more shelves on your shelf unit, and find more baskets (maybe at a thrift store or garage sale) and throw things in there. Make a nice tag to add a description of what you just stored. When you have some extra money, go find something inexpensive that you can repurpose....and go vertical. Good luck.... it is always a process. SEnding healing thoughts your way!
Old 07-01-2011, 10:33 AM

Stop being so hard on yourself..... you have a lot of containers. Here is what I would do.
- first, I see that you have shelves, the one with the light and the other one... you can organize your material in those, so you can see them.
- Those baskets that you have by the window (the round ones) I would put my thread in those
- Just start with your material first so you can see what you have. Tell yourself that you will work on that for one week in the room doing only that. This way, you can just focus on those two things and you will feel like you are getting something done.
- The next week, if you have run out of shelve space, start with the containers and store the rest in the bends and the other stuff in the shelves, try storing them in a plastic container. Let the bottom of your large shelve, put your books on the bottom shelve. What do you think about that?
Old 07-01-2011, 10:42 AM

my sewing room is a disaster right now....don't care!!!! it will get cleaned when it gets done....LOL....have more important things to do, like quilting!
Old 07-01-2011, 11:10 AM

Vic-love the Avatar kitty pic!
Old 07-01-2011, 11:14 AM

Looks like mine
Old 07-01-2011, 11:28 AM

First: I hope your back to the better improve you soon. I suffer from Chronic pain from too many years of living and I know on painful days everything is always looking worse than it really is on a good day.
Second: You have some clutter, not a pig sty. For that you need a shovel at the door to shovel your way in and out. You just have to look hard for things than some.
Third: Craftybear is right some totes under tables with a tablecloth solves oddles of problems and even mounted shelves on the wall on metal brackets would be an inexpensive way to solve storage clutter. All this can be done on a monthly wall project. Start first with the totes, tablecloth then the shelves.

I hope this and a I UNDERSTAND HUG will help. One day at a time fixes m any things. :D :D :D
Old 07-01-2011, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by Little RoO
Hi...firstly I hope you are feeling better. If your knee is really healed then cleaning your room might be really therapeutic but do make sure you really are well enough and that you won't do more damage to it....so take care

I am a bit of a neat freak...can't help it...just am...and what I see in your room is lovely shelf space that is not being utilised...so maybe you could try clearing the shelves and having a sort through, then use one area of the shelves to store folded fabric and use other shelves for books etc.

I tend to initially sort into piles of...keep....charity.. and throw.
Anything that isn't keep take out of the room immediatly and put in piles outside the room....then you just have everything you want to keep left in the room...then sort into fabric, notions, books etc....then away to go.....how I wish you were close...I definatly give you a helping hand...
I agree, I notice you have a lot of small containers holding things. Could you do away with these? I have been putting my little kits into large ziploc bags (not sure if this is quilt police correct) but it works for me. Then I have a tote that houses any kits that I have. If you can take the fabric that is not for a kit out of the little containers and neatly fold them and put them away on your shelves that will help. I love your room though. I don't have one yet but I'm sure mine will be a mess. Yours really isn't all that bad. I do hope you continue to heal from your surgery. If I lived closer I would love to come over and help you. :) Delaware is a little too far of a drive for me though. Keep us updated on your progress though. Maybe that will help you get motivated too. ;)
Old 07-01-2011, 12:01 PM

My space is always worse than that. I say stop worrying about it, if it bothers you, close the door, if it bothers your Mom, ask her to help you organize it.
Old 07-01-2011, 12:03 PM
jo

Please do not come to my house. You have to step over boxes, move stack to stack to reach a machine. My husband will not enter the room-said he does not have enough life insurance and if he went in it might take me months to find him.

I was really inspired by all the beautiful rooms I have seen, but do not even have an idea of where to start.

Hope your feeling much, much better
Old 07-01-2011, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by Twisted Quilter
Originally Posted by CAJAMK
It looks like a pig sty to me! I thought if I post here I may get some ideas!
Doesn't look tooooo bad. If you want to see a pig sty, you should see my sewing area. Nope, not taking any pictures!
I'm right here with Twisted Quilter and unfortunately, I probably have her beat in the messy department too... no pictures from Me either!! UGH!!