Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Musings re: stash and purchasing >

Musings re: stash and purchasing

Musings re: stash and purchasing

Old 07-01-2011, 12:38 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by SparkMonkey
but I feel like I'm in the minority in that I am not a "stasher."
Oh lucky you! I wish I had the wherewithall to do that but for me, alas, it is too late. I have the stash-accumulation disease and the stash to go with it.

I think I have an addictive personality in regards to fabric and for a long time I went through the "OMG I GOTTA HAVE IT" phase. Pat was surprised the first time I bought 1/4 yard. He thought fabric could only be purchased in full yard increments.

Then my sewing room bulged at the seams and the joy of having turned into an annoyance of sorting and keeping.

Now, I only add very little to the stash particularly if I don't have a color to go with the latest group project. Or a few little bundles from Maui. Other than that, I HAVE to use what I got.
Old 07-01-2011, 12:40 PM

i have a stash enough. enough to get me started and all i may need is one more to mske it work. i mostly like scrappy's anyway. i did buy farbic twice just because and it's still here on the shelf not cut. so no impulse buying for me i buy what i need and that is not very much.
Old 07-01-2011, 01:11 PM

having loved fabrica and sewing a great deal , i grew a good sized stash because i worked in a fabric dept for ten years. it all payed off well, because i am stillsewing and also qiulting now. i am so glad i had it too, becaus within two years time all stores that carried fabrics here are no longer selling fabrics. bummer for me and now if i have gas money , i go east or west a minimum of 70 miles to buy fabric. i am hoping this town will start up something here for us sewers and quilters.
Old 07-01-2011, 01:57 PM

I was not going to be a stasher, but this week our local Goodwill had a huge amount of fabric donated to them. A lady bought basket loads for 2 days. I went in the trhid day and bought 2 basket loads. It was priced 50 cents a piece to $2.00 for bundles. Some pieces were fat quarters and some were 3-5 yards. The bundles had large yard pieces and fat quarters. I got some plain colors which Iwould never buy unless I needed them for a project and lots and lots of prints. Some Moda was in the group. I would say put together yardage wise I go at least 100 yards for around $50 if tha tmuch money. So now I am a stasher. Take care.
Linda
Old 07-01-2011, 02:09 PM
Power Poster

What a wonderful thing you are doing. Quilters can be very generous people. When purging my fabric before moving, a lot of the fabric went to a group called "Quiilted Covers", an organization that made quilts for children in need and especially those in hospitals. I know that my fabric was going to be used for a good cause and it felt good for me to "share my stash".
Old 07-01-2011, 02:24 PM

I am not a stasher, either. Matter of fact, I am out of white thread and waiting for a 50% off sale.
Old 07-01-2011, 04:15 PM

I used to be one of those that bought fabric just because I liked it, but now I have so much fabric that I try not to buy it unless I have a plan or a quilt that I really want to make.... and besides that I just don't have the room to keep it anymore, my totes are all full and I'm running out of room... need to get quilting!!
Old 07-01-2011, 05:12 PM

I kind of wish I only bought for what I needed it for because I would not have the problem of (hiding it) oops I mean stashing it,from the old hubbykins.
Old 07-01-2011, 05:21 PM

[quote=Jim's Gem]I have a stash simply because I love buying, touching and gazing at beautiful fabrics!! I just can't resist. I don't spend my $$ on booze, cigs, clothes, jewelry or "going out" I pretty much only buy fabrics and quilting supplies.

I, too, love looking at, touching, and buying fabric, and since I quit smoking, (15 years now!) it is my reward for hanging in there! I don't buy much at LQS prices - but I do buy at quilt shows. This is the one thing I spend money on; no booze, cigarettes, jewelry, etc. A lot of my stash has come from frequenting the thrift stores.
Old 07-01-2011, 07:27 PM

Saw where you are close to Minot. Were you in the flooded area? I have a lot fabric and in May I went to Texas to my niece's and her mother, my DSIL was a quilter and she died in January of this year and my DB died in February so we went through her fabric and repacked it and I came home with 70 lbs.
Most of it was 3 to 4 yards or more a piece.