Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
I am so ashamed of the way my sewing room looks >

I am so ashamed of the way my sewing room looks

I am so ashamed of the way my sewing room looks

Old 07-01-2011, 12:19 PM
Power Poster

Looks like you just need to organize, give away what you don't really need. When you can afford it buy some bookshelves to put some things on and maybe buy more clear totes. If Mom wants to clean it up, let her. Just my opinions.
Old 07-01-2011, 12:20 PM
Vat

I am not a neat freak but I do like being somewhat organized. Doesn't look like to me that this has just happened over the passed 3 weeks. The closet looks like you could add some shelves and that would be a good start. Then you would have some place to stack some/all of your containers out of sight. Then maybe add some shelves in the room on one or more of the walls. Start small and work yourself around the room, you'll soome be finished/organized. Good Luck ! ! ! !
Old 07-01-2011, 12:27 PM

So I have to ask - is that a Firebird on your profile picture? What year?
Old 07-01-2011, 12:39 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by CAJAMK
Now granted...I just had knee surgery 3 weeks ago and I work full time. But for the last 3 weeks I have not been workin due to the surgery. But I look at all of these beautiful organized rooms and feel so ashamed! So looking at the pics the first being as you look to the right entering the room (which is only about 9ft x 10 ft) and the next pics sweep over the room...anyone have any suggestions? I can't afford anything to help me organize it as I have not made any money in 3 weeks and I support myself. But if anyone has suggestions I am sure open to them! It looks like a pig sty to me! I thought if I post here I may get some ideas!
OH really????
What is MY excuse...

This was 2 months ago...it is much better now, but still....REALLY???
[ATTACH=CONFIG]219497[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-219491.jpe
Views:	9
Size:	83.5 KB
ID:	219497  
Old 07-01-2011, 12:47 PM

[quote=noveltyjunkie]Moms can really mess with their daughters' heads! Try not to get too caught up in the need for your mother's approval. How about telling her you would have cleaned if you had not just been operated on?!

And remember, you don't want her to clean it for you....you'll never be able to find anything! "Neat freaks" usually want it done the right way...their way! However, if your Mom is not like that, and you can supervise, she might just be a big help. When I had my third baby, I actually checked myself out a couple of days early so I could come home and clean and do the laundry....because my inlaws were on their way! LOL!
Old 07-01-2011, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by CAJAMK
My mom is coming Sat for a small cookout...she is a neat freak. Me? I like a clean home but not sterilized! She will have a cow when she sees this! LOL! Of course I really should get over that I am 55!
Boy, does that ring a bell :lol: . Every time my mother came to visit she would run a finger over a table, raise an eyebrow and say..."haven't dusted lately, have you". I would cringe and look guilty..then I finally got up the nerve to tell her that if it bothered her that much, she was more than welcome to help herself to the duster. She never said another word about dust again.
Old 07-01-2011, 01:25 PM

its not that bad! If MOM does like it,----she could help you.LOL!! Do you have freecycle in your area? ASK for storage items --totes,bookcases. My friend has gotten some very nice stuff this way, to help organize hers!I'm trying to get likes together, so for a temporary solution you could get "banker boxes"@ walmart -VERY CHEAP,ask someone in a busy office to save paper ream boxes for you, or I got a BUNCH of lettuce boxes from my favorite Subway shop. IF you choose 1 kind they will stack nicely & you could easily go under your table OR fill up a closet.
Old 07-01-2011, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by Barbm
Just neaten it up a bit. Fold fabric, stack them on the shelves so they look pretty. Take your notions and put them in the baskets and display them, like you planned it that way. Make a table skirt and velcro it to the table. You can peel it off to change it or be able to get in there. Lots of "free" things to do.
I can see into the closet, maybe you could add some shelves in there. I am getting ready to do that to my closet in my sewing room. I am going to get the brackets that go on the back wall of the closet and then, the arms that hold the shelves. Do it by stages. Buy the brackets one payday and hang them up. Then next payday, buy a couple of the white melamine shelves. and a couple more every once in awhile till you get about 6-7 shelves. Nice thing about then is you can adjust them to any height that you need. When I watch HGTV, many of the designers say to go vertical, as much as possible. This gives you more floor space. The window needs a shorter valance because it is taking up some of the window space that allows light into the room. If you can put your batting in a clear plastic bag, tie it tight and take it to the garage or put it under any bed that has space. Batting takes up lots of floor space. I have my big cutting mat on top of an old dresser that I store sewing items in, that I only use once in awhile but don't need out all the time. I also put a peg board up on the wall near my sewing machine and I have some long metal brackets that hold my rulers and my various cutting tools and my scissors, Pattern packets, and accessories. Hope these suggestions help. Oh and another cleaver thing I did was I made a clear plastic cover for all my spools on the spool holder. Keeps then from getting dusty but keeps them in plain sight. I keep them away from direct light also. Good Luck! Jan
Old 07-01-2011, 01:34 PM

Just feel better..your health is more important..if it really bothers your Mother..maybe she will help you..or like Craftybear said..go vertical..stack things..make it look like your working hard on projects..mine looks good until I'm creating..mad artist at work are messy..lol..good luck..don't be hard on yourself !!!
Old 07-01-2011, 01:43 PM

LOOKS lots better than mine, hope you are doing better. Be sure to keep your painful rehab and exercises going, my friend had this surgery in Feb. and scar tissue is slowing her down a bit. Cheer up