Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need to purchase a new Iron for Quilting/Sewing? >

Need to purchase a new Iron for Quilting/Sewing?

Need to purchase a new Iron for Quilting/Sewing?

Old 04-09-2009, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by JoanneS
Originally Posted by butterflywing
Originally Posted by Loretta
Joanne, I like the turn off feature too, but those irons never get as hot as the other kind. Or is that my imagination?
no, it's not.

after wasting a lot of money on irons that break or don't work or leak, i now buy excess inventory irons, whatever the brand is, for around $10 and toss after 1 year. by then i've dropped it on the floor and scratched the soleplate anyway. i think i'm ahead of the game.
Whoops - meant to ask where you find 'excess inventory' irons?
Old 04-09-2009, 09:01 AM

I just bought a new one when my Rowenta died-the new ones were a lot heavier and I cart it back and forth to class so needed something lighter.
I bought a Shark from Target and love it as do the girls in my class.
Old 04-09-2009, 10:21 AM

I HATE MY ROWENTA!!! It doesn't do any better job then my low priced Black and Decker and it alarms before I am ready to use it. I apperantly am much slower to iron between peices then Rowenta thinks I should be and it simply Irritates me to the point of pulling the plug and fighting the urge to throw it across the room. Needless to say I don't use it much. On the other hand My Black and Decker 1950's styled reproduction iron bubbles over quite often when filling it with water. I will deal with that since it is so much less irritating then the ROWENTA FROM HELL!!!!!
Old 05-06-2009, 10:51 AM

Let me tell you about irons. They are all made in China. Even the Rowenta USA irons.

In the last 14 months, I have gone through 5 irons! Sunbeam, Black and Decker, they are all defective! I bought them based on customer reviews and other research.

I had recently raved in another post about my new Black and Decker iron, but within a month it started turning itself off while I ironed and not emptying during cleaning.

I am not careless with my irons. I don't let them fall, or fail to maintain them. I followed the instructions to a T and they let me down. It took over a month to get a replacement to the Black and Decker, and I have not even taken it out of the box yet.

Why? I realized that the only irons that are heavy enough, get hot enough and make enough steam are OLD irons. So I won a 1960s GE on Ebay and it is super hot. For the first time my ironing board looks like I use it. It has scorch marks from the heat. No scorches on my fabrics though! And no automatic shut off to aggravate me. I paid $1.99 plus shipping. What a deal!

No more pressing hard or over and over to get crisp, flat seams and points.

If you want a good iron, I recommend buying a "vintage" one before they are impossible to find.
Old 05-06-2009, 11:30 AM

I use a Miracle Ironing board cover which has some sort of construction that reflects the heat back into the fabric. This allows me to iron at lower temps with my auto-shut off Black and Decker, and still get higher heat results.
Old 05-06-2009, 11:40 AM
Banned

i had a rowenta and i'll never buy another - it was a total piece of junk and 3 months past the warranty it died.

i have a sunbeam steam master now that i got at walmart for $25.

i purchased it 4 years ago and its still going strong. it never drips or drools or spits. i don't steam often but i like having a quality steam when i need it.

it has a non stick plate and gets very hot. it does have auto shut off when its not in use but you just move the iron and it reheats very quickly and beeps when its ready for use.

Old 05-06-2009, 07:27 PM

I am in the minority- I love my Rowenta professional iron- this is one without the auto-off feature. I leave that sucker plugged in and hot for hours while I quilt and press as I go- no problems, no leakage,mine works great.