Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
log cabin PP or not? >

log cabin PP or not?

log cabin PP or not?

Old 07-02-2011, 03:36 AM
Vat

I have done them both ways and like paper piecing the very best. They fit together so much better and you don't have to worry fit they are going to fit or not. The only draw back , to me , is having to pull the paper off in the end. But you can save that for when you have down time, like sitting in the doctors office, etc.
Old 07-02-2011, 03:42 AM

I never PP, but then I am not looking for perfection. I have found it always works out. Good Luck.
Old 07-02-2011, 04:10 AM

I've done it both ways, and they both worked out fine. It depends on whether or not you're good at keeping that 1/4" seam accurate...
Old 07-02-2011, 04:21 AM

:roll: i am taking a class in English Paper Piecing------------ will be different ,tacking the class in Hershey.
Old 07-02-2011, 04:52 AM

Do you have some pics of your log cabin "special starched" quilts on the board?

Originally Posted by Lori S
I really do not like taking the papers out when paper piecing. I love the method for some blocks. But for a log cabin where there are no "points" ... I would starch my fabric prior to cutting ( I use a pretty heavy starch). Then cut my strips. I make log cabins with strips as narrow a 1 1/4 inch . For me it goes much faster than P/P and I can get very accurate using starch( be very generous) and my 1/4 inch foot.
Starch tip- use the Stay - flo concentrate in the blue bottle ( I find it at Walmart in the laundry section) dilute it about 2 parts water to 1 part starch. I dip the fabrics in... let it saturate , use a drying rack for drying. then iron. You will be pleasently surprised at the difference it makes in the final results. This part takes a bit of time ... but soo worth it. Once I have it starched , ironed and cut ... I am off to the races so to speak... It goes so fast then.
I find the accuarcy is so good I have not had to square up till the end and then it was so minimal it was non -existant.
Old 07-02-2011, 05:18 AM

I would pp; so much easier. I use lightweight sew in interfacing to trace pattern; then you can leave it in. No ripping out paper
Old 07-02-2011, 05:22 AM

love the L.C. and paper piecing is a waste of time. I love PP when the lines are intricate and not as straight as log cabin. Just follow your scan t 1/4" and you'll be just fine
Old 07-02-2011, 05:26 AM

I did mine strips and it went so much faster.
Old 07-02-2011, 05:26 AM

Cut the strips and go! You can always square it up later! I'm making one now and it is so much fun!!!!! :lol:
Old 07-02-2011, 05:44 AM

I have done log cabine with foundations and also just sewing the fabrics as the l.cabin calls for it. I didn't know you could do the latter until a friend who taught Home Ec. at the college taught me.
Just line up the fabric strips in the legnths you need and colors you want, and sew away. It works for me!
I have made 4 log cabins--2 quilts, 2 wall hangings, and I found it is quicker this way for me.
Have never done it paper piecing, but to each his own.
Good luck!
Mariah.