Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
new ideas in quilting. >

new ideas in quilting.

new ideas in quilting.

Old 06-10-2011, 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by CruisingStef
I totally agree with cjtinkle, but have printed them out in the past. Will try this approach from now on .
I've printed them out, too! DUH!! All that paper to go through! I'm going to start my folder, pronto! Thanks, CJ and CruisingStef.
Old 06-10-2011, 09:35 AM

I see a lot of trends in magazines and mail order catalogues; to check out those that look interesting I'll go to Amazon.com to find books on that, read the reviews for an idea, and then I'll go to my local library and check out those books by interlibrary loan. That way I get to REALLY check out the trend without spending ANY money on books first ... and being disappointed later ... and being stuck with a book I paid too much for to get any use out of. At $23 to $28 a pop, quilting books aren't cheap.

I also check out http://www.allpeoplequilt.com/ - GREAT resource for what's happening in terms of technique and gadget trends.
Old 06-10-2011, 03:12 PM

I decided to let my magazine subscriptions expire. I love all the free information on this site. I have printed off many patterns. I have four notebooks full. All like quilts. Strip quilts--log cabin---animal and so on. Love the Missouri Quilt Co Tutes as well as the tutes you gals send. (Got the notebooks from Goodwill-thanks for the tip somebody posted)
Old 06-10-2011, 03:15 PM

What is this quilt. Is it the one that looks like cathedral window?
Old 06-11-2011, 02:39 PM

I love learning new technigues therefore I do not count my UFO's my latest class faux hand embroidery by machine and I absolutely love it plan on another class from her in Aug 37 quilt designs that I can do free motion on my Bernina teachers name is Laura Heine and she teaches all over also in Houston in Oct.
Old 06-11-2011, 02:48 PM

I know I have not even begun to be up to date...I am still learning, but I had some Dr Suess fabric left over from my grand-daughter's quilt. We are going to FL to attend my great-niece's 1st b'day. I picked up a magazine called "easy quilts" from Fons& Porter. I decided to use my left over fabric to make "Out of the Box" from the summer issue. It worked up easily and I finished the top in a day. :thumbup: Now to do some piecing to make the backing big enough. Sooo, the short answer depends on need, time, and desire. If I like it, I will try it....if not, bye,bye....
Old 06-11-2011, 05:43 PM

I, too, like the tradional so I guess that puts me behind too. Looking at the quilt magazines I get, there is nothing anymore that catches my eye. I don't care for all the "new" art quilts. Some don't make any sense to me. Maybe I'm missing something.
Old 06-15-2011, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by cjtinkle
I have a folder on my network drive called "Inspirations". When I'm browsing the web, and I see something that I love, I save the picture to this folder. I can save from any computer in the house as well as access it, which makes it nice. The file is now huge, and when I need inspiration, I go take a peek! I don't care what's trendy, I just care that I love it!
Same here!
Old 06-15-2011, 02:08 PM

I guess I just love everything. I tend to gravitate to florals and more modern design, but I love them all. I too have an inspiration file, but mine is a real notebook. I print out ideas and make notes. I have so many plans for quilts and other projects I had better live to be 150. Well, live that long with my skills intact anyway.
Old 07-02-2011, 03:11 PM

so I'm not up on all these names... what is D4P ? Diana O...