Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I have a challenge for you all >

I have a challenge for you all

I have a challenge for you all

Old 07-02-2011, 07:29 PM

I am going to try, too, what a nice idea! I have spent the last couple of days thinking about some projects to start for Christmas, what a coincidence!
Old 07-02-2011, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by sarahrachel
I'm already thinking Christmas and what everyone's faces will look like when they open their gifts. Then for some reason, my mind strayed to those who don't get gifts at Christmas, or don't get to see their families. And it made me sad, all those frowns and sad people on Christmas.

So I decided I was going to make 1 extra quilt and give it to one of the local nursing homes. I was watching All in the Family last night, and I think this is where the idea came from, and Edith was working at the Sunshine Home and the one lady died and was sort of upset that her daughter hadn't come to visit her in a while, and how she was sad.

So I'm going to make 1 extra quilt, even just a lap quilt, and take it to the nursing home and have it all tied up in a nice simple red bow, and ask the front desk to take it to someone who doesn't receive many visitors.

SO my challenge to you is to make one extra quilt, just one, it can be a patchwork or anything you like, and take it to either a nursing home, a homeless shelter and just donate it to the shelter, or the local children's home because I know every year ours goes around and asks for gifts to give the children so that each child can open at least 1 present.

I'll keep you posted on my quilt and you can post yours as well if you want.
This is a great idea!! Must do it myself!!! Thank you.
Old 07-02-2011, 07:39 PM

A wonderful idea! I'm in.
Old 07-02-2011, 08:00 PM

Nursing homes are in need of adult size bibs too. They are quick to make. Here's a link to a pattern, I figured someone would ask for it. The 1st link is the home page. The 2nd link is the actual pattern.

http://outonthetownbibs.com/adultbib...bibpattern.php

http://outonthetownbibs.com/images/B...dult%20Bib.pdf
crafty_linda_b
Old 07-02-2011, 08:09 PM

I like both ideas...thanks...
Old 07-02-2011, 08:10 PM

What a great idea. Hope everyone joins in.
Old 07-02-2011, 08:12 PM

Our LQS is connected to a Seniors' Santa project. Last year was our first year and I think we managed about 50 quilts for Seniors with little support and little income. This year we started in January, so we hope to have even more. It's a wonderful project. I have three at home waiting to be quilted right now. It sure does make Christmas special.
Old 07-02-2011, 08:16 PM

I like this idea, too. I'm in!
Old 07-02-2011, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by sisLH
I used to make the 'lapghans' (lap sized quilts or afghans) but then the nursing home asked if I could make shoulder wraps instead as the lapghans continually fell to the floor and got caught up in the wheelchair spokes. Most residents stated that their shoulders were always so cold -maybe others could work this into their projects also.
This reminds me of a project (popular c. 1980) that was called a "butterfly jacket". It was made by putting 5 quilt blocks (I think they were 14") together in a cross shape, curving the corners off and cutting up to the center from one edge for a front opening and making a neck slit; then all the edges were bound and ties added to the sides and front.
Sounds like a good one for the nursing home!
Old 07-02-2011, 09:24 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by sisLH
I used to make the 'lapghans' (lap sized quilts or afghans) but then the nursing home asked if I could make shoulder wraps instead as the lapghans continually fell to the floor and got caught up in the wheelchair spokes. Most residents stated that their shoulders were always so cold -maybe others could work this into their projects also.
Could you tell us the measurements? I could make my own patterns if I knew the size to make them.