Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Tutorials
When doing tutorials >

When doing tutorials

When doing tutorials

Old 07-01-2011, 06:31 AM

If i want to save a tute and not have so many pages, I copy and paste into Word. Then I make smaller margins and shrink the pictures - works just as well with smaller pictures and saves many pages.

Joan from cincinnati
Old 07-01-2011, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by np3
Please! Do not shorten the tutorials! It is all about learning each step! You don't have to print them. I bookmark them and go back and refer to them.

Just did Amma's tutorial today on PP. It is great by the way.
I agree. I don't print them either. I bookmark them also and refer back to them when I need to.
Old 07-01-2011, 09:05 AM

I think you find a lot of the ink/space is taken up with pictures. When I want to copy a Tutorial:
0. Set your printer to "Draft" mode, uses about 1/2 as much ink
1. Cut and paste the entire Tutorial into a "Word Document"
2. Delete all the advertisements, etc.
3. Delete the extra lines between paragraphs
4. Reduce the size of all pictures.
5. Reduce the font size for the entire document (I use Arial 10)
6. Reset the margins (1" on left to allow for insertion in 3-ring binder, narrow as possible on top, bottom, and right.
This should save considerable paper and ink.
Good luck.
Old 07-01-2011, 09:07 AM
Google Goddess

I love all of the tutorials, so this way beginners to advance can read the tutorial and can figure out how to do it

Thanks everyone for writing up tutorials, we love them.
Old 07-01-2011, 09:11 AM

Please don't change a thing. I too am visual and I may reduce the size of the pictures and the fonts but I certainly don't want SMALLER directions lol
Old 07-01-2011, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by Dodee
Gosh, I'm sorry - didn't mean to create a situation. I've been having some problems with this computer program and guess I must have taken it out on tutorials. I love them - honestly. Mzzzquilts - your idea is great, as are some of the others. Thanks.
Thanks for "listening" :)
Old 07-01-2011, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess
Also, are you just printing the tutorial, or the tutorial and all the comments? If you use print preview to figure out where the tutorial ends and the comments start, then just print the actual pages you need, it might cut down on some of the extra paper.
That's true. I just caught myself doing that. Scrambled to cancel what was left (but you're never fast enough). Printed 19 pages for a 5 page tutorial - Oh well, live and learn.
Old 07-01-2011, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by mzzzquilts
If your Windows operating system came with a Microsoft XPS Document Saver (click on devices & printers to check if it's installed) you can click "print" then tell it to print on it. It makes a file very similar to a PDF and saves it on your hard drive wherever you tell it to. It doesn't print out a copy, but you do have it saved. Make a folder in your "my documents" called Quilt Tutorials and save them all there. Then if you decide to make it (if you're like me, you save hundreds of things with the intent to make them haha), you can print it out. Meanwhile, you always have it tucked away in your folder to refer back to.
Thanks, this is really good to know. I have this and had no idea how to use it. Now I do! :thumbup:
Old 07-01-2011, 09:04 PM

I think that if someone is nice enough to take the time to put a tut on- we just need to accept it and edit out what we don't need. I did read a post that made a lot of sense to me though. That person wished that the tut started with a pic of the finished product- and i do agree with that. Many times you go through a tut and you ---finally--get to the end and it's something that really doesn't click. So, I think an up front pic would be good. As for the 31 page tut- lets see- that would be like the person that is telling you something that could be told in 100 words or less but 20 minutes later your eyes are glazing over and you've forgotten the initial subject matter. lol.
Old 07-03-2011, 03:08 AM

[
I usually copy and paste to a Word Document, change to a font I find easy to read and reduce the size of the photos in an effort to reduce the amount of paper/ink used. Some I convert to a pdf. I also print on both sides of the paper to reduce that amount of pages. I also use my laptop when using a tutorial, especially when using a Word Document, I can increase the size of the photos, if necessary.[/quote]

I also use this method, and you can use the "wrapping" feature to move and manipulate the pictures, and therefore use even less pages to print out. Jen