Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help deciding next project >

Help deciding next project

Help deciding next project

Old 07-03-2011, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by ScrappyAZ
Don't make the same mistake I made when I first started quilting. My first quilt was an easy 9-patch, using only three fabrics. After that, I let a more experienced quilter talk me into a pattern that was clearly beyond my skill level, and I had to buy 20 (yes 20!) different fabrics. My friend said she would help me through the process, but sometimes life takes over, and just as I started the project, she bailed on me. I had such a difficult time trying to finish the quilt that I stuffed the entire project (and fabrics) into the closet. Six years later, I learned enough to finish the quilt, but it didn't bring me the joy I hoped it would.

So, know your comfort and skill level when choosing your next project. Quilting should be fun!
Darn 20 fabrics!

I recently struggled to make a easy 9 patch, mostly because I chose flannel and it did all sorts of things I never knew fabric could do.
I'm looking to find something that looks sort of manly, geometric and not too fluffy, and not too blocky. Sort of difficult.
Old 07-07-2011, 06:15 PM

I'm gearing up to make sampler quilt wall hangings for my sewing room - I was originally going to make each one all one block, but then realized this could be a great opportunity to try different blocks. If I really like them, I can make an entire quilt later. If I hate them, well, I just have to make one. ;)

I got a lot of great block ideas from www.quilterscache.com. I've narrowed it down to choices in each block size, and once I test the blocks in my chosen colors on graph paper, my DH is going to help me decide which to go with. Should be entertaining, at least.
Old 07-07-2011, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by mizunogirl
Originally Posted by ScrappyAZ
Don't make the same mistake I made when I first started quilting. My first quilt was an easy 9-patch, using only three fabrics. After that, I let a more experienced quilter talk me into a pattern that was clearly beyond my skill level, and I had to buy 20 (yes 20!) different fabrics. My friend said she would help me through the process, but sometimes life takes over, and just as I started the project, she bailed on me. I had such a difficult time trying to finish the quilt that I stuffed the entire project (and fabrics) into the closet. Six years later, I learned enough to finish the quilt, but it didn't bring me the joy I hoped it would.

So, know your comfort and skill level when choosing your next project. Quilting should be fun!
Darn 20 fabrics!

I recently struggled to make a easy 9 patch, mostly because I chose flannel and it did all sorts of things I never knew fabric could do.
I'm looking to find something that looks sort of manly, geometric and not too fluffy, and not too blocky. Sort of difficult.
Have you thought about using homespun fabrics? I think they have a manly kind of feel to them.