Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Removing Paper >

Removing Paper

Removing Paper

Old 07-03-2011, 09:50 AM

I use some very old office paper that we used to call onion skin. It is thin paper. I can't run it through the copier so have to hand copy the pattern on. But...it hasn't been too difficult to remove the paper. I don't even know if it is still available for purchase. I got it when our office had to move to smaller space and got rid of a lot of old stuff. I was 'happy' to help them out by taking the onion skin and a few other things that work beautifully for crafts.
Old 07-03-2011, 09:52 AM

Watched a Fons and Porter on tv the other day they folded and ran their fingernail along the seam line held one side and it came off real easy. Now I havent tried this only watched them do it, seems sometimes when you watch them do it and me doing it is a whole new story
Old 07-03-2011, 10:28 AM

I make all sorts of things that aren't meant to be handled or handled very much (think potholders, mug rugs, and wall hangings), as well as things like baby quilts that get more use. In every case, I PP onto the lightest non-woven stabilizer/interfacing I can find and then I just... leave it.

I like the stability (duh) that it gives the finished pieces and I especially like not having to deal with taking out the paper. I tried piecing onto paper and taking it out... and swore never to do so again.

If you use the super-thin interfacing/stabilizer, you can hardly tell it's there.

Works for me! :)
Old 07-03-2011, 10:31 AM

I was surprised to find school notebooh paper easiest to tear off!
It is also cheap! ....and has straight lines on it!
Old 07-03-2011, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by Grandma Phyl
Watched a Fons and Porter on tv the other day they folded and ran their fingernail along the seam line held one side and it came off real easy. Now I havent tried this only watched them do it, seems sometimes when you watch them do it and me doing it is a whole new story
Run the point of a pin over the stitches, that helps a lot!
Old 07-03-2011, 11:35 AM

A friend of mine says construction paper comes off easy.
Old 07-03-2011, 11:43 AM

WHAT IS THE NAME OF THE PAPER THAT TURNS TO FABRIC ? NEVER HEARD OF IT.
Old 07-03-2011, 12:18 PM
Power Poster

It feels like paper but really isn't. What I have is called Poly Stable Stuff. description:

It comes by the yard or prepackaged in fifty 8.5" x 11" sheets ready to go for use in a copy machine, ink jet printer or laser printer. You can leave it on the underside of your work. If you wet or wash your finished project, Stable Stuff® Poly becomes a fine, soft layer of unnoticeable polyester fibers inside your project.
Old 07-03-2011, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by vjjo743
Do you have trick for removing paper from you PP. Thanks
When you sew your first seam across the paper fold the paper back on itself and finger press. That creases the seam and puts a little stress on the paper holes. Then straighten it out and sew your second fabric. Then do the same thing - turn back on itself and finger press. When you finish all the seams will have already been stressed and will tear easier.
Old 07-03-2011, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by virtualbernie
Originally Posted by vjjo743
Thanks, I was afraid there was not an easy way. I just finished PP a J. Niemeyer. Love how the quilt looks, so perfect, but taking that paper off, @#@@
Are you using the tiniest stitch you can? I also find it helpful if I fold it before I begin to tear and also cheap, cheap paper!
I never had a problem with it..maybe because I didn't consider it a chore..just part of the process.

When taking paper off, I generally sit at a table with a plastic bag next to the piece. I crease the paper against the seam and pick any small pieces up with a pair of medical tweezers or a small hemostat (my neighbor was an MD and had old suture sets that were too worn out for his office use.) When I'm done I take the top outdoors and shake it out to get all the tiny bits free (and off the floor indoors :lol: )

Just take your time, going and a moderate pace saves me a lot of "double back" time here.
But that's what works for me.