Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I have a challenge for you all >

I have a challenge for you all

I have a challenge for you all

Old 07-03-2011, 03:06 PM

Wonderful idea. I do belong to groups that do charity quilts, but nothing specific for Christmas. I will add that to my list.
Old 07-03-2011, 03:20 PM

love it I will try to do it also
Old 07-03-2011, 03:21 PM

Thank you for posting this challange, and it's great to see so many folks are going to do it, and many already involved! I work as an aid at a local care facility, and these gifts would be greatly treasured by any of our residents. All the ideas already posted are wonderful, on that I had been kicking around was to use some of my UFO's in this manner. The shawl idea is good, I've also seen a short knit or crochet cape on some of the residents, I've looked for a pattern, but so far no luck. The short capes are not too bulky, and are great for folks with cold shoulders, but may be unable to put on extra layers of clothing. :thumbup:
Old 07-03-2011, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by sisLH
I used to make the 'lapghans' (lap sized quilts or afghans) but then the nursing home asked if I could make shoulder wraps instead as the lapghans continually fell to the floor and got caught up in the wheelchair spokes. Most residents stated that their shoulders were always so cold -maybe others could work this into their projects also.
I think I saw a pattern for shoulder wraps in a recent issue of quilt magazine. I will look it up and get back to you soon.
Old 07-03-2011, 03:59 PM

It is a lovely thought and will be much appreciated I am sure.

I make quilts and donate them, 6 have been made this year already with another 4 more being in the works at the moment.

Go for it!

Maybe1day
Old 07-03-2011, 04:04 PM

Pleaase be careful when giving quilts to people in Nursing Homes. i made a beautiful quilt for my Mom and it disappeared very mysterously. Never able to find out where it went.

Daryl
Old 07-03-2011, 04:05 PM

Thanks for the great link on shawls. I have high hopes of making lap quilts for the nursing home this winter. Great idea to wrap it with a pretty bow. The shawls would be a great idea too. Just got to find the time to do it all!
Old 07-03-2011, 04:15 PM

Most of my quilts are for others now. At my age I don't need any more. LOL! Quilt guild makes kids quilts and lap robes for rest homes; try to do at least one a year for each. My favorite charity is for citizensam.org, for critically wounded troops being transported in cargo planes to hospitals. Then they get to keep the quilt. If you look this up, there is a link to donating quilts. Great idea for us to give one more to some favorite charity at Christmas, and happy to see so many willing to take the challenge.
Old 07-03-2011, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by Daryl
Pleaase be careful when giving quilts to people in Nursing Homes. i made a beautiful quilt for my Mom and it disappeared very mysterously. Never able to find out where it went.

Daryl
That's a good point. Maybe before we donate these pretty quilts and shawls to people we should find out some names and embroider them into the quilt, or maybe in the quilting itself so it can't be picked out and given to someone else. Maybe put it on the patch so the patch would look odd if there was a blank space right in the middle. Just throwing ideas out there
Old 07-03-2011, 04:29 PM

If you use flannel or fleece on the back, it is less likely to fall off the lap or the shoulders.