Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Gift for 18 year old male >

Gift for 18 year old male

Gift for 18 year old male

Old 07-03-2011, 03:38 PM

You could always buy a large piece of fleece and tie it or just get a piece and finish the edge using some kind of fleece that reflects his personality!!!

Not sure if there is a available but how about a cd case for his car? If he is having a large party just make a small wallhanging or pillow case/cover using fabrics that show his interests or school colors leaving plenty of room for all of his "friends and families" signatures and wishes for his birthday!! You could applique Happy 18th and use birthday fabric.
Old 07-03-2011, 04:24 PM
bkb

blanket and pillow for his car
Old 07-03-2011, 04:25 PM

A quilt of course...maybe a sports quilt...does he have a favorite team or sport? My boys always ask for flannel backing and to make it long so that it covers their feet and head. They like quilts for the couch but they need to be longer than a normal lap quilt.
Old 07-03-2011, 04:36 PM

Hey, thanks for the great idea of a quillow! Actually, it's a party for my 19 yo niece, and 18 yo nephew, so I think that would be a great idea for both! Only one drawback, it's been so hot and humid here, but it would be a good gift for when it's 20 degrees! Thanks again.
Old 07-03-2011, 04:44 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by crafty lady
Hey, thanks for the great idea of a quillow! Actually, it's a party for my 19 yo niece, and 18 yo nephew, so I think that would be a great idea for both! Only one drawback, it's been so hot and humid here, but it would be a good gift for when it's 20 degrees! Thanks again.
How about a "gift certificate" ... that they will go shopping with you, pick out the fabric and then you will make it for them. If the cost is more than you wish, then make it part of their Christmas present! :)

It'd be a fun day out and some one=on-one time with each, or you could do it as a three-some fun time!
Old 07-03-2011, 05:06 PM

As a mom who has just seen my last teen turn 20, I say don't waste your time trying to stitch him anything. Just give him $$$$. It's sure to be the right size, colour and pattern!
Old 07-03-2011, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by Shelbie
As a mom who has just seen my last teen turn 20, I say don't waste your time trying to stitch him anything. Just give him $$$$. It's sure to be the right size, colour and pattern!
I agree, cash is always a hit!
Got to ask though, does life get easier when there are no more teens??? Please say yes!
Old 07-04-2011, 01:30 AM

My boya loved rec'ing blankets over the years from their grandmothers. I did not quilts at the time. they still have them and remember their grandmothers making them. They both treasure and use them, Now that I quilt they have asked for quilts for Christmas which they got. They also have requested another for next Christmas and this time they have input on the fabrics. With all the things that are out their that money can buy...its refreshing to have a homemade gift. My boys are now 24 and 28.
Old 07-04-2011, 03:36 AM

How about a quick-pieced quilt----maybe a strip pieced Trip Around the World???----and then back it with fleece. All the quilting you have to do with fleece is enough to hold it together. My 18 year old son's favorite gift back then was the world's fastest "quilt".....just two widths of fabric on the front, no piecing, just a fabulous basketball print that I found....and about 1 1/2 widths of fleece on the back. Finished the edges by turning the cotton fabric to the back and self-binding that way. Then ran a few lines of stitching lengthways and widthways....and done! He really appreciated it since I made it extra-long....as he's 6'6" and quilts usually are too short.
Old 07-04-2011, 03:39 AM

Originally Posted by GwynR
Originally Posted by Shelbie
I agree, cash is always a hit!
Got to ask though, does life get easier when there are no more teens??? Please say yes!
Yes, Yes, and YES!!!!!! Then you get to sit back and watch.... parenting done unless you're asked! They WILL make mistakes but that's how they learn. The hardest part is not talking about stuff to them unless they ask for your opinion (unless it's something life-threatening or equally serious)....