Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Old Montgomery Ward Sewing Machine >

Old Montgomery Ward Sewing Machine

Old Montgomery Ward Sewing Machine

Old 03-14-2010, 08:11 AM

Does anybody know anything about old Montgomery Ward sewing machines? I don't have a model number. This one is a light greein in color. It is all metal. Its heavy. Its in a carrying case. There is one at our local good will and I almost bought it. Its was only $20.00. I think maybe I should go back and get it. What do you all think?
Judy in Ohio
Old 03-14-2010, 09:07 AM

Judy: yes--definitely buy it. I have a Montgomery Ward machine from 1975 that weighs a ton (it's in a cabinet and you have to lift it up to set it up to sew) but it is a workhorse. I've never had it serviced-I clean and oil it when I think of it. I think it still has the original light bulb in it. I use my Viking 99% of the time (had to have all the bells and whistles LOL) but would never part with my MW. OMG I feel old just talking about this machine LOL!!
Old 03-14-2010, 09:18 AM

I have an old Montgomery Ward machine that was my grandmother's. I used it for years before I got my Janome this Christmas. They are real workhorses. The only trouble it ever gave me was when it needed the timing checked. That was an easy adjustment. I'd say go for it. Some of them came with cams so you could do fancy stitches. Mine is supposed to have them but they are nowhere to be found so I think Grandma lost them.
Old 03-14-2010, 10:08 AM

I say YES!!!- as well! I have a MG sewhorse (I just made that up, not really the name... :)) and I've never had problems with it. I love it. It's consistent, heavy- but I love it.
Old 03-14-2010, 11:55 AM
Power Poster

This sounds like a good purchase. Be sure to try out the machine in the store before you buy it. They have electrical outlets. Plug it in, make sure the light comes on, run the foot pedal without thread to make sure the needle goes up and down. Look at the wiring and make sure it isn't all brittle and crumbly. Especially if the Goodwill allows you to return items (most will), that would be enough for me to take the machine home.

Those Montgomery Wards machines are not great machines -- they tend to be noisy; however, they make a great backup machine, good starter machine, good machine for the kids to start learning on, etc.
Old 04-30-2011, 07:39 PM

Did you final bought the machine?

Today i got one for free.

You can find the model at the back bottom of the machine. Mine is model UHT J1265.

It didn't come with a manual, but it works fine.

Originally Posted by judy_68
Does anybody know anything about old Montgomery Ward sewing machines? I don't have a model number. This one is a light greein in color. It is all metal. Its heavy. Its in a carrying case. There is one at our local good will and I almost bought it. Its was only $20.00. I think maybe I should go back and get it. What do you all think?
Judy in Ohio
Old 04-30-2011, 07:49 PM

I had a '58 MW machine. Hated it. You couldn't sew a straight quarter inch seam on it to save your life. I got a Pfaff 2030 and discovered I really could sew straight.
Old 04-30-2011, 08:13 PM

I have one, it's OK but they have a tendency to jump time. Mine did 3 times.I finally got it lined out.I've had it since 1977.Been doing fine ever since,I still use it today,it has the cams for fancy stitches, and can use double needles. I would buy it, for that price you can't go wrong
Old 07-03-2011, 05:13 PM

I just got this MW machine, can you tell me which way the bobbin should wind when in the case? I think I can figure out the threading on the top part. It was free and I want to make sure it works before I give it to someone who doesnt have a machine. Thanks.
Old 07-03-2011, 05:21 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by hnds4prs
I just got this MW machine, can you tell me which way the bobbin should wind when in the case? I think I can figure out the threading on the top part. It was free and I want to make sure it works before I give it to someone who doesnt have a machine. Thanks.
Typically what you want to do is have the thread coming off the bobbin counter-clockwise. Most of the old vintage machines work in the same way. Here is a link with a picture:
http://www.sewusa.com/Threading_Diag...ng_diagram.htm