Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I have a challenge for you all >

I have a challenge for you all

I have a challenge for you all

Old 07-04-2011, 06:18 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Ms Elaine Va
I offered to make some for my friends that go to visit the local rest homes. Their response was that unless I could give one to everyone it wouldn't be fair. I was so heart broken. Are there rules about this kind of giving? I know my guild gives quilts all over the city.
I like your challenge and I think it is a great idea to just drop it off and see where it ends up.
Our Veteran's Service Officer has asked me if I could make several lap quilts for veterans who have to have chemo. They are cold all of the time during chemo. I haven't been able to do this yet, due to lack of money. I hope to be able to do it in the future if I can get some fabric. It is really sad that they do without when they have served our country so honorably... If you have an office like this, you might check with them.
Old 07-04-2011, 06:25 AM

I like the shoulder shawl idea so I'm going to make some of them for NH gifts. Great idea!
Old 07-04-2011, 07:29 AM

Great idea, and I am pretty sure several of us already do something similar. I have made twin and infant quilts for our local Easter Seals, lap quilts for the veterans and nursing homes, infant and twin quilts for the local House of the Carpenter. Everyone is always so appreciative, and they always know someone who needs the items. The options for giving are totally unlimited, exept by time and finances. Hope the project goes wild.
Old 07-04-2011, 07:44 AM

I will accept that challenge.

Recently I made Walker Bags and took them to the nursing home. They loved them. The brighter the colors the better they liked them. The bag fits on the front of the walker (not the sit on kind) and has two pockets on each side. I told one lady she could store all her boyfriends numbers in the pockets. She said she needed more room! While I was there another lady crochets and gave me some baby yarn. She no longer likes to use it. They just enjoy someone coming to see them.

Also pillowcases are good gifts. I made some and sent them to Joplin, MO to a church for the tornado relief. You know the BIG store that wants to stop selling material has some for $6. Super quick to make and if directions are not clear go to youtube and put in pillowcase and it has a great tutorial to make it even faster.
Old 07-04-2011, 12:01 PM

I am in.
Old 07-04-2011, 12:05 PM

I have 3 lap quilts that I just finished that will be donated to the veteran's home or our local group to help the needy.
Old 07-04-2011, 12:18 PM

God bless you, Sadie, for opening your home to children in need.
Originally Posted by Sadiemae
I am hoping to have a couple more for foster kids before Christmas.
Old 07-04-2011, 12:20 PM

Consider it done!
Old 07-04-2011, 04:52 PM

That is a wonderful idea!
Old 07-04-2011, 05:50 PM

I do quilts for the abused women and family shelter in our area. They are often arriving with nothing. I especially do ones for kids.