Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Beginner mistakes with basting spray >

Beginner mistakes with basting spray

Beginner mistakes with basting spray

Old 07-04-2011, 04:52 PM

I have used basting spray twice and really love it. I did use too much the second time, and it gummed up my needle and finally broke my needle. But I had switched to a thinner needle, too. Once I switched back to a thicker needle with a larger eye I did not have any more problems.
Old 07-04-2011, 05:03 PM

I use spray basting for small projects only. It is too hard to deal with on anything over a small wall hanging. I have tried a couple of brands. Gumming up the needle has been my experience too.
Old 07-04-2011, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by CoyoteQuilts
Gummy needle? Clean with alcohol soaked cotton ball. This won't stain your quilt like WD40 or GooGone. Soap takes out the spray basting not just water.
I read to use a little of your own spit on your index finger and rub up and down on the machine needle and it works, very fast and easy, don't have to remove a needle or thread.
Old 07-05-2011, 12:51 AM

You wouldn't have had any of those problems with KK2000

You use ver little. It goes away on its own in about 7 days or with a hot dry iron instantly.

Dosent gum up the needle and you never spray the batting only the fabric.

You always quilt a quilt from the center out never from the outside to the center.

they KK2000 can be use for applique too and not have a stiff applique for it disapears.

Try it you will LOVE it.

ConnieF sorry you used the othere and it is not to be in a confined space or room and you can with the KK2000

http://www.sulky.com/adhesives/index_adhesives.php
Old 07-05-2011, 04:51 AM

Originally Posted by ConnieF
You wouldn't have had any of those problems with KK2000

You use ver little. It goes away on its own in about 7 days or with a hot dry iron instantly.

Dosent gum up the needle and you never spray the batting only the fabric.

You always quilt a quilt from the center out never from the outside to the center.

they KK2000 can be use for applique too and not have a stiff applique for it disapears.

Try it you will LOVE it.

ConnieF sorry you used the othere and it is not to be in a confined space or room and you can with the KK2000

http://www.sulky.com/adhesives/index_adhesives.php
Where do you get it?
Old 07-05-2011, 04:59 AM
Banned

have you tried pressing with warm/hot iron. It will soften the spray and make it easier to get the wrinkles out
Old 07-05-2011, 05:02 AM

I've used it a few times and the first time I did a heavier spray. Sounds like what happened to me. Just go lightly and it'll be fine.
Old 07-05-2011, 05:09 AM

From my experience it seems it works better if you have a helper to help layer everything smoothly.

When I used it the first time, I thought I was doing such a good job of keeping everything straight and flat. I taped the corners of the backing.

I placed the batting on carefully smoothing out any lumps and wrinkles and then gently rolled the flimsy on top...spraying each layer lightly being careful not to overspray...

I turned that puppy over the check and it was as bad as when I safety pinned.

I was so disgusted because the adhesive held really well and I had to pull all the layers apart and start all over.

I waited until I had a friend over the help hold things tight.

Then I tried Aquanet hairspray. Only because I've heard people talking about it. And it's cheap. So I tried it on a scrappy top I had laying around. My exerpience is I have to spray heavier then the adhesive spray, best to do it in a well ventilated area or you choke on the fumes, and let it dry completely before moving. I'm not sure I'd use it on heirloom type quilts but for my utility type quilts-love and use until it's rags it's fine.

I keep alcholol wipes near my computer and wipe the needle when ever it feels like it's gumming up.
Old 07-05-2011, 05:39 AM

I am using a very light application of it, but I get a mist all over the place. How does one prevent the spray from forming onto other objects around, while you are applying it?
Old 07-05-2011, 05:44 AM
Power Poster

Are you aware of the health hazards of the basting spray. You need to do it outside. Then there is the offgasing. My friend just died after years of horrid breathing problems. Yup she was a crafter using sprays and other products that off gas in her younger days.