Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Does any one know about Shingles? >

Does any one know about Shingles?

Does any one know about Shingles?

Old 07-05-2011, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by maurie
Has anyone suffered with Shingles? Is there any source of relief? I am in constant pain.
I had shingles and took nerve pain medication for it. Once they were gone I had no lasting pain
Old 07-05-2011, 08:52 AM

I had shingles. Good thing is they finally go away. Pain meds are a help and ask your doctor if he has cream or diet recommendations. Otherwise you just adjust life schedule and wait it out. So sorry you are going through this.
Old 07-05-2011, 08:54 AM

My husband has them right now. He was given some pain meds which helps some but still painful. His started on the inside of his arm, went to back and then onto his chest. There is a shot that you can get for preventing them but it runs around $300.00 and if you are on Medicare they don't pay for it.
Old 07-05-2011, 08:57 AM

My husband got them just last year, age 63, and he was sooo sick for a few days. The pain shots they gave him were so bad they knocked him out over and over. Finally when home from hospital we found that Capsacian Cream rubbed directly on the pain was the best way to allow him to get up and get dressed. We rubbed it directly on the offending nerve endings where the rash had been. He still has the pain every once in a while and gets relief from the capsacian cream, still. Bless You.
Old 07-05-2011, 09:16 AM

i have heard oatmeal baths help. i would make a paste and apply it.
Old 07-05-2011, 09:45 AM

I had the shingles in 2005 on my right leg that went under my right foot, right to my nerve endings. I had the shingles vaccine. Shingles can be very painful, there no fun. If you can have the vaccine, it will help you. Good luck.
Old 07-05-2011, 09:58 AM

I've had 2 bouts of shingles. The first one was sooo painful. I actually went to a dermatologist. He gave me prednisone, which is a steroid and they started to go away. The second time, I knew what was happening and got to the Dr right away. Valtrex is a medicine that is often prescribed. They have not returned! I pray that they never return.
Old 07-05-2011, 10:05 AM

I had them in February. Fortunately, they didn't last that long, but I still have some itching in that area occassionally. Doctor gave me pain meds and I was told to get an anti-itch creme to help with the itching. I had a circle about 3 inches in diameter on my left are and a place on my left shoulder. The thing that bothered me was the exhaustion from it. That lasted about a month or so. I was told that I should still get the vaccine, but I haven't. Good luck!!
Old 07-05-2011, 10:46 AM

My thanks to all of you for your replies to my problem. I am taking notes and have begun to implement some of your suggestions. I am trying to get to the drug and health food stores today or tomorrow for some of the supplies suggested. Your replies have helped me so much, for I have felt like this was something that I alone was battling. Many thanks, I had the Shingle Shot last year. I have never had a pronounced rash but lots and lots of itching and pain. Thanks for all of your replies and may God bless and protect us all.
Old 07-05-2011, 11:15 AM

I had than from jan to Aprial. there is nothing that hurts this bad.they gave me Gabapentin caps 300mg .2 capsules 3 times a day. I took 2 rounds of them at 180 each in a bottle. I will pray they do not last as long as mine did.I took Lidoderm patches at night is the only way I could sleep. And of course pain med.