Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Scrappy quilts >

Scrappy quilts

Scrappy quilts

Old 07-06-2011, 04:24 AM

I like scrappy quilts because they give me the opportunity to be more creative than a block pattern. I also think the different colors melded together can make a very clear statement of love, care and warmth.
Old 07-06-2011, 04:29 AM

It's a throwback to my childhood. Quilts were generally made with scraps from the clothes my Mom made for us. She seldom bought fabric especially for a quilt. Nostalgia, I guess.
Old 07-06-2011, 04:31 AM

It's like looking at a little field of confetti, or a rainbow!
Old 07-06-2011, 04:36 AM
Power Poster

I make quilts to be used. If you give someone an 'art' quilt they will hang it up or wrap it up and put it away. I make quilts to be cuddled with and loved. Plus you aren't wasting much with scrap quilts. I love them.
Old 07-06-2011, 04:36 AM

The quilts that I give away to friends and family are usually not scrappy, but instead are well planned and the fabric all blends well. I love to then use all of the left over fabric from those projects to make scrappy quilts for myself. Then, whenever I look at the fabric in the scrappy quilt it reminds me of the quilt I made for a special person in my life.
Old 07-06-2011, 04:45 AM

I think all the different fabrics add so much color and interest. My kids call them "old fashioned Grandma quilts" and love them.
Old 07-06-2011, 04:49 AM

At first it was because I knew the origin of the fabric (that square came from that shirt, that from Grandpa's tie) but I like scrappy from other people with fabrics I've never seen before...
Old 07-06-2011, 04:54 AM

Whether a quilt is scrappy or "color-coordinated" isn't really the deciding factor for me. It's the overall appeal of the quilt. Scrappy can be beautiful - but it also can have just the opposite impact. A friend was making a quilt consisting of blocks of 1" finished squares - 81 different fabrics in each block. I really wasn't impressed by the look of each block, but when she added black sashing to each and started putting them together, it was a whole different story. It was beautiful! The scraps took on a whole new look and seemed to sparkle. I guess I'd have to say "planned scrappy" is my preference!
Old 07-06-2011, 04:59 AM

I never gave that question a thought. I would have to say it is becaues that is what my grandmother did. And I love lots and lots of color and patterns in a quilt - More to dream about when looking at them.
There are so very many patterns and colors out there, it is awfully hard to settle on one or two.
Old 07-06-2011, 05:18 AM

I love scrappy because most of the time in the past women had to use what they had could not go out and buy two or three colors to make a quilt i really think it is very pretty too am thinking of starting one love color