Rotary Cutter skips. >

Rotary Cutter skips.

Rotary Cutter skips.

Old 07-06-2011, 02:30 PM

how old is your matt. they get worn out too
Old 07-06-2011, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by alikat110
Joann's has a glove to wear for cutting....protects your hand
Yes, it's called a Klutz glove. It is also available through Fons and Porter.
Old 07-06-2011, 04:41 PM

Don't laugh but I've see folks use the rotary blade on the outside facing away from the edge of the ruler instead of being directly next to the ruler.

Also cut away from your body, not toward.

Cut about 8", stop without lifting blade, let your hand holding the ruler 'crawl' up a few inches, then cut some more. It's hard to describe without showing you but you need to shift your weight on the ruler as well as the cutter.
Old 07-06-2011, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by sobaboo
Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong? I can cut using my Gingher scissors However when it comes to using a Rotary Cutter, I am scared to death that I am going to cut myself. When using the rotary cutter it skips and leaves places uncut (Single or double thickness). What am I doing wrong? I am getting ready to start a quilt and the rotary cutting would be a time saver and to say the least I am getting frustrated with the cutter and about to cut all strips with my scissors and have a hand soaking party.
If you are afraid of cutting yourself, try using the Gypsy Gripper. They have 3 sizes that I know of - regular, medium and mini.

Definitely sounds like a chipped blade. Sometimes it's so small you can hardly see it. Hope this helps.
Old 07-06-2011, 08:41 PM

Check your mat!!! I've been having a lot of trouble and thought it was the blade. The other day I told myself I was going to figure out what the real problem was. So I started watching where it was skipping. Bingo!! Anywhere thatthe mat was grooved, the threads would be pushed down into the groove and the blade would not cut when it crossed the groove. So I got out my new mat and now hardly any skipping. Good luck. Hugs, Sharon
Old 07-06-2011, 09:57 PM

Are you sure you just have one blade in the cutter??? Mine would skip and figured out I had two blades. They tend to stick together with the oil that is on them. No problem after removing one blade :oops: :oops: :oops:
Old 07-07-2011, 03:01 AM

I have had that problem with also the cutting mat is not
flat, check that out also.
Old 07-07-2011, 04:45 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by sobaboo
This is a new rotary cutter, Fresh out of the package. Could it be the way I am holding it? How much pressure should be used on it?
Thank you for your help.
I had a new, out of the pkg. name brand rotary with blade to skip.
It did the same thing to me...made me wait a very long time to ever start doing my quilts!!!!
When I finally broke down and bought a new one...world of difference and the "phobia" was vanished! ;-)
Old 07-07-2011, 06:21 AM

If your afraid of cutting yourself you can buy gloves that shield your fingers. Can't think of the brand, but know they are available.
I'd try a new blade. I have even had a new blade that had a nick in it, so try the new blade.
Old 07-07-2011, 07:49 AM

[quote=Farm Quilter]Sounds like you are so afraid of cutting yourself with the rotary cutter that you aren't pushing down hard enough. I get that...sliced myself before!!! I've tried several other ruler holders that get my hand off the ruler, but found them to be uncomfortable and didn't really work for me. I just saw this in an online magazine this morning and I'm going to save up for it - looks awesome...keeping fingers away from blades AND keeps your ruler from slipping. Check it out:

http://www.keepquilting.com.au/index...od&productId=2

As many others have mentioned, a new blade is a good idea too!!!

Not affiliated, just like the way it looks like it works in the video!![/quot

looks like something that would come in handy many times. I too will be saving up to purchase one.