Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you pay to watch quilting shows online? >

Do you pay to watch quilting shows online?

Do you pay to watch quilting shows online?

Old 07-08-2011, 12:35 PM

I really enjoy The Quilt Show with Alex Anderson and Ricky Tims. It's a bit pricey but I can watch anytime of the day or night and the guests are wonderful. I've really learned a lot.
Jenny
Old 07-08-2011, 12:42 PM

I miss her too. But on my TV I have Quilt In a Day. That is a really good one to watch. I made a Star Block with different squares that make the half square triangles and the hour glass. It was really easy.
Old 07-08-2011, 01:45 PM

A really useful summary and review! Thank you!
Originally Posted by thepolyparrot
There is a huge amount of free information out there and I love all of it! I love quilterstv and the media page on quiltinaday, but I also joined several paid sites. I like the quality of information on the paid sites and I appreciate the more professional quality of the presentations.

QNNtv has a LOT of videos and if you're just learning or intermediate, you're going to find enough to keep you busy for years. I've let my membership lapse for a few months or a year at a time, then when I'm drifting and uninspired, I join again and watch some of the old shows. They have some new shows which are very popular - a longarm quilting show, for instance. The membership is well worth the small investment - about $30-40 a year.

The Quilt Show is interesting and worth the subscription cost, but it doesn't really go "in-depth" into any given technique. It seems more like a social show than a hard-core teaching show - like the difference between Quilter's Newsletter magazine and The Quilter magazine, if that makes any sense. The emphasis seems to be on personalities and "artsy" techniques, as opposed to "nuts and bolts." (not that that's a bad thing! :) ) A new show comes out every two weeks and there are several BOM quilts going, along with classroom shows that go into specific techniques. Alex Anderson is starting one now about hand quilting. I like it and plan to renew.

The Quilting School is really excellent with lots of free-motion quilting by Linda Taylor, Irena Bluhm, Hari Walner and others. Alice Wilhoit teaches needleturn applique. Eleanor Burns has some series there. There's a bunch more stuff that I didn't even get to! :) The shows are thorough and well-filmed to show you exactly what they're trying to teach you. I had some technical issues with my old computer and the customer service was fabulous in attempting to help me get the issues resolved, but I let my membership lapse. I will probably join again at some point because I really did learn a lot - and I have a new computer now which should eliminate the technical glitches. The shows by Irena Bluhm were the most helpful to me and my quilting took a giant leap when I caught on to a couple of things she showed. The information is easily translatable from the longarm to the domestic machine.

I signed up for a class in EQ on Quilt University and if I had stuck with it, I'll bet I'd have gotten a lot out of it. I just happened to hit one of those crazy times of life right about the time that class started and it kept going to the bottom of the priority list. But, I typically learn much faster with these online classes, so I wouldn't hesitate to sign up for another one.

I recently signed up for Quilting Quickly II, and I would definitely recommend it to a beginning and intermediate quilter. I learned a lot and got some great ideas from those shows - and it's only $30 for the whole group of classes. Jenny Doan has a really good teacher's personality, especially if you're a little lacking in the confidence department.

Hope that's helpful in some way! :)
Old 07-08-2011, 01:56 PM

I use to watch Simply Quilts when it was on tv but like most of you here, I watch the free ones.
Old 07-08-2011, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by amma
I did join one the first year it started, did not find enough value in it to renew the next year :D:D:D
I tried QNN.com for a year, but found I never used it, so I did not renew. They are spam free, so I would say if you are going to subscribe, give them a look.
Old 07-08-2011, 02:08 PM

I don't. As a matter of fact on the Fons and Porter Web you can't get any information unless you are a member.
I think that's rediculous.
There is much information out there and here on the board that I think I would rather spend the money on material.
Old 07-08-2011, 02:24 PM

To many other things out there that take up to much of my time as it is. No thanks.
Old 07-08-2011, 02:30 PM
Power Poster

I know I'm a little out of the loop lately, but I didn't realize there were quilting shows that you pay for (don't have the money anyway). I like to watch Sewing with Nancy, Nancy Zieman's show that often has some great quilts, plus you can go online and watch the shows again if you missed something or didn't get it recorded.. I also like to watch Eleanor Burns' website with her "shows" on the internet. I also like to watch the Create channel, which offers quilt shows by Fons & Porter and Georgia Bonesteeel. I also like Martha's Sewing Room that mainly focuses on sewing, but will have quilts on too. I like her sewing tips on dressmaking skills and tips that I may use to make clothes for my granddaughter. It's sometimes hard to get channels that offer quilt shows, so maybe we need to write our Congressman lol and tell them what we want. Just kidding, it would never work, they don't listen to what we say anyway.
Old 07-08-2011, 03:12 PM

WOW! is this ever interesting, & thankyou Crafty Bear for all the info you put on the QB. I've watched E. B. already now I'm going to try some more.
Old 07-08-2011, 03:35 PM

No there are so many tutes and free so why pay for more that you can get time for?

Best one I like is www.zeeltv.com and click on the quilters tv.
And of course all the Mousorie Quilt Company on you tube.

ConnieF