Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Wish Me Luck >

Wish Me Luck

Wish Me Luck

Old 07-08-2011, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by LoriEl
I think you could sew at the table if you got a stool to put your "pedal" on. It may take some getting used to but I'm sure it would work. I can understand losing your mojo but that has to change before it leads to depression! You moved away from your family so you can't lose your quilting! Good luck getting to know your in-laws.
Lori, I'll see what I can manage, it sounds like a little getting used to, but I'm sure if I wanna sew, I will make it work! lol

Thanks,
Wanda
Old 07-08-2011, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by lots2do
Not sure where Coconut Creek is, but I've just returned from the Clearwater area where I was able to meet a fellow board member (not sure if she wants to be revealed so will leave that up to her ;) ). We are planning to retire to that area in about 4 years - for part of each year - the cold parts up here. I loved our visit but the thing that kept me awake last night was thinking about the driving down there. I am very independent up here and the driving just scares me in Florida.
Coconut Creek, is south of Clearwater, I'm about 20 mins west of Ft Lauderdale. And I agree the driving down here is CRAZY. It seems everyone has a lead foot, and boy do they sure use it! I'm not used to these 45 and 50 MPH thingys!!! LOL
Old 07-09-2011, 03:13 AM

I always remember the woman who set up a sewing room in the motorcycle storage area of a trailer. She rolled up the door and had the tiny space set up. Or the woman who sewed in the 5th wheel while traveling. My space is a tiny room that should have been a small bathroom. I am lucky it has a window.

It is doable. Invest in a sturdy portable sewing table. Limit your tools to the most valuable ones. I can get my tools into a roll around case setup and a bag for the mats and rulers. Have bag will travel is my motto. (I have four retreats in the next 3 months.)

One of the most creative quilters I ever met does her work in their rentals in Indiana and Florida. She explained just how she kept everything simple and it worked for her.
Old 07-09-2011, 03:18 AM

Wanda,
I see a bigger issue here other than trying to find a space to sew. You do not like living in Florida? I have to share something with you.
Twenty six years ago my mom and dad moved to Florida. My mom did it because my dad loved to go fishing. When he retired, they moved thinking he'd get a boat and use it frequently. He was 59 years old. Days turned to weeks turned to years. Dad never bought a boat; as a matter of fact, in all those years he has NEVER gone out fishing! He is now 86 years old - still in good health. But my poor mom!! Also in good health, she feels she's wasted her golden years living so far away from me and her grand-daughters. They've missed seeing my girls grow into the beautiful young women they've become. Sure they have come for an occasional visit, but the every day joys were lost forever. Mom, to this day, talks about how she wasted all those years and missed out on so much.
If you find you are truly not happy living in Florida, don't settle. Work things out between the two of you. Perhaps a compromise by living the summers back home and the winters in Florida. I will be thinking of you and sending you prayers. Only you can make your own happiness.
Old 07-09-2011, 04:07 AM

I have kids away at college and the spare room is where they put their stuff so I don't have the room I was supposed to have for quilting and sewing. Space and money was at a premium, so what I did to get a place to sew was buy an old sewing machine in a sewing console/cabinet for $25. I don't even know if that old machine works, but my machine sits nicely on the sewing cabinet, and it is the right height and not taking too much space, and the machine does not jump around because those old sewing desks are solid wood.
Old 07-09-2011, 04:11 AM

I have a sew-ezi table that folds up, has rollers on it, and a cover. That might help you. You can get them specifically for your machine.
Once you start working it will get better. Hugs to you.
Old 07-09-2011, 04:40 AM

Sounds like a woman on a mission and I know you
will be glad you have started on something to make.
In Florida with the weather so nice, you could go
outside and sew on one of those portable little fold in
half tables that Wal-Mart has? Like a picnic table.
Old 07-09-2011, 05:12 AM

You sound a little overwhelmed. Don't let those obsticles defeat you! Go for it!
Go out garage saling and find that perfect table for cheap. Don't be afraid to pass some up that aren't perfect for your needs. You will find it, and you will have fun doing it!
Old 07-09-2011, 05:13 AM

I love what Mary Mulari does with sweatshirts. Surely someone out there has her book or can tell where to get it. Maybe at www.sewingwithnancy.com. I think there is an online catalog. Good luck and Happy Sewing. I lved in Florida 21 yrs. Never did fall in love with it. Ohio isn't the greatest but it is home!
Old 07-09-2011, 05:13 AM

tell you hubby you need a corner with a real table to sew. Or you will go crazy and scream and holler, LOL. When I get too stressed my hubby tells me to go sew. doesnt matter what just sew to easy my poor brain. It works. so, you need the stress relief from living in Fla. Move to SC, it is great here. good luck.