Recommend a Car for Me?

Old 07-09-2011, 04:17 AM

My husband had a lot of the same requirements as you and he narrowed the search down to 11 cars and went and looked at all and sat in all and narrowed it down to 3 then test drove them and he ended up with the Ford Fiesta, which surprised me because Ford is not usually his first choice (lol it is always my first choice)but the headlight feature is a desperate button but very easy to find and get to, he did get the keyless start just because it had everything else he wanted in the color he wanted in stock, drove it off the lot same day
Old 07-09-2011, 04:19 AM
Power Poster

Test drive a KIA optima, I had one and loved it. Gave it to my son's family.

Now I have a nissan versa hatchback and LOVE it! Good luck!
Old 07-09-2011, 04:43 AM

My insurance agent recommended a van or SUV simply because the driver sits higher and visibility is better. Also get white as it is more visible to others on the road. My son works on cars and says all of them are "snap together" technology now. Lots of plastic and few bolts and screws. He still recommends Chevy or Ford. Ford's technologies have been tried and true--if it ain't broke, don't fix it theory, I guess.
Old 07-09-2011, 04:50 AM

I buy Certified Pre-owned and love them. I have my second one which had on 11k miles when I got it and I saved so much money. Certified cars were never in an accident and you get a complete detailed report of all service records. I bought mine in PA but I am sure you could find the same on the west coast.
Old 07-09-2011, 05:00 AM

My MIL drives a Corolla, and she loves it. I won't ride in it, or any small car. Check it out the next time you're in town at a stop light. Where's the bumper on that SUV or pickup in the lane next to you in relation to your head?

Yep. It's an SUV for me...I just have to budget for the fuel, but would rather budget for that than a funeral or medical bills for the head injury. ;)
Old 07-09-2011, 05:47 AM

I am on my 2nd Cheve Equinox. love it. the newer ones have great gas milage. 32 on the road. And the seats are adjustable and you can sit straight up, cause I do. good luck, It is a tough choice.
Old 07-09-2011, 05:52 AM

That was one of the cars I looked at when buying my last one and one of the sales people (can't remember which lot) actually referred to the "Fit" as a "Clown Car." He said it reminded him of the skit where clowns keep pouring out. Every time I see a Fit, I have to chuckle.[/quote]

This Clown Car name is actually a great recommendation. Think of all the fabric you can pack in there with all the gas money you save!! I would definitely test drive the Fit
Old 07-09-2011, 06:06 AM

Take a look at the Honda Fit. Not sure of pricing, but drovea girlfriend's for a week and liked it. Allows for many carry options - at least the Sport edition - by the way the seats fold down. Good Luck
Old 07-09-2011, 06:08 AM

Chevy Cruze
Old 07-09-2011, 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by caspharm
How about a used Prius? They are good cars.
I know you said you didn't want a used car and also want to pay less than $20,000 so a new Prius probably doesn't fit your requirement BUT we have a 2007 Prius that has been fabulous. I can't recommend it highly enough. We truly average 50-54 mpg depending on whether we are in Florida or in the mountains of NC - better mileage in NC. We have driven it on long trips and find it very comfortable both to drive and to ride in. Love it!!!!!