Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Wish Me Luck >

Wish Me Luck

Wish Me Luck

Old 07-09-2011, 10:33 AM

Wanda pray that you get your mojo back. When I go to Texas to visit my son, the only place I can sew is on their breakfast bar and I too have that problem. I use my grandkids step stool and place the pedal there and rest the stool on wall, I find this much easier.
I am sure that once you get your creative juices flowing, you will not stop. Good luck on your sweatshirt project.
Old 07-09-2011, 10:45 AM

Wanda, sounds to me you lost your mojo when you moved to somewhere you dislike AND lost your sewing room. (((((((((((HUGS))))))))))))) Do you think you could take over the dining area or part of the LR with a desk you can comfortably sew at? I took over part of our LR and I am a happy camper not to have to sew in the basement. We never entertain as my dh is not well. Try to think of what you can do with where you are and make the best of it. JMHO At any rate, keep posting and let us know how you are doing.
Diana in Canada
Old 07-09-2011, 12:05 PM

The card table sounds like it would work, but do you have room for a sewing table? They're fairly small.
Old 07-09-2011, 12:24 PM

I understand your slump....been there myself. I do not have any place to sew either. DH went to Walmart (other places have them too) and bought me a hard plastic fold away table. It's about 6ft long and 30" wide. The height is perfect with a dining room chair and it is long enough for cutting and my sewing machine. When I am done for the day, I can fold it up and put it away. I have been using it in our second smaller bedroom. It's crowded but I want to sew and I make it work . Good Luck!
Old 07-09-2011, 12:34 PM

you might try a big blue rubbermaid storage bin to set the pedal on so you can reach it. Don't give up on the sewing!
Old 07-09-2011, 12:37 PM

Walmart has a small version of their folding tables. It's 24" by 46" and it has adjustable leg heights. It folds in half for storage. If you don't have room to keep it out this would be perfect for you.
Old 07-09-2011, 01:01 PM

Wanda, I sew at a tall dining room table. I put a plastic foot stool on the floor with my foot pedal on it. I put a place mat on my table so my sewing machine doesn't scratch the wood. Then I put on music and sew. Works fine.

My plastic foot stool is about ten or twelve inches high, and I got it at Wal-Mart. In fact, I bought three of them, as I am short and they come in handy quite often.

We are all one your side! You can make this work. Promise.
Old 07-09-2011, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by Whernandez
Hello Ladies and Gents,

I've been a member of the group for a very long time, but just recently just started posting.

I am originally from Chicago, IL., but now reside in FL. I really do dislike it here, and wish my hubby would reconsider and decide to move back home. Anyhow... with my move down here I've lost my sewing room. And as a result my sewing drive as well. I do have my machine set up in my room but I can't really sew on it b/c it's on a little bookshelf. Our dining room table is one of the newer "bar stool type" very high, and makes it reaching for my pedal almost impossible when i try to sew on it. So I struggle each time I want to sew in my room or on the dining room table.

I am going to see if I can put all that aside and see if I can manage on getting a project done. Before I moved down to FL, my mom and I watched a show segment of Sewing With Nancy, and she had a guest Mary Mulari, and she was converting old sweatshirts into Jackets.

Well, I did buy a sweatshirt way back when, and I just recently found it in my storage. This was supposed to be for my mom, and I want to start on it, and see if I can get it done in time for her birthday in September. It's a white sweatshirt, and I'm going to try machine embroidery, and I'm going to try and line the inside of the sweatshirt after I complete the embroidery so that you can't see the raw stitches from the inside. It sounds like a lot, but I need to get back my mojo. I love sewing and machine embroidery, and quilting I just hope my finished project looks as pretty as Nancy and her guest Mary.

Thanks for listening! I'm gonna go looking for designs now! I'll post pictures when I get something done! lol

Thanks
Wanda
Mary Mulari written has books on redoing sweatshirts. Maybe you could find them at the library if you get stuck? I used to sit on a living room chair, and put my sewing machine on a good solid TV tray. I bought my tray at Walmart, for about $8. Best part is you can put it all away when you have guests coming.
http://www.marymulari.com/books/Swea...or_All_Seasons
Old 07-09-2011, 02:20 PM

Lots of luck
Old 07-09-2011, 02:23 PM

Hi Wanda...I am from Ill. too....Mattoon, about 45 miles south of Champaign/Urbana. We have lived in Texas since 1983 and I am always wanting to go "home" for a visit. My mom and sibs still live there within 30 miles of each other. So, I do know what you mean about "goinh home". You have already found the what-to-sew and as soon as you work out the where-to-sew you will get your mojo back! Just find a spot and claim it!

Good Luck and God Bless!