Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
QB- Good and Bad >

QB- Good and Bad

QB- Good and Bad

Old 07-10-2011, 04:34 AM

Joy, I am a new quilter as well...we learn as we go...our hearts in each and every piece we do,,,the joy is not in the perfection...but in the creation. The time and love it takes to be a caregiver is going to show through in your quilting...both take a lot of heart. Did anyone teach you how to be a caregiver?...I think you learn each and every day...the same with quilting. So my friend...be happy...be proud...and thank God for the gifts he has given you...your family is truly BLESSED. Have a great day...and Happy Quilting
Old 07-10-2011, 04:34 AM

Joy, I am a new quilter as well...we learn as we go...our hearts in each and every piece we do,,,the joy is not in the perfection...but in the creation. The time and love it takes to be a caregiver is going to show through in your quilting...both take a lot of heart. Did anyone teach you how to be a caregiver?...I think you learn each and every day...the same with quilting. So my friend...be happy...be proud...and thank God for the gifts he has given you...your family is truly BLESSED. Have a great day...and Happy Quilting
Old 07-10-2011, 04:42 AM

love your thinking as I am the same way..
Old 07-10-2011, 04:49 AM

I've seen some pictures of your quilts, and they are beautiful. I'm making lots of quilting mistakes, so maybe there is hope for me. Thanks for inspiring me by admitting the things you are not doing "right"!
Old 07-10-2011, 04:52 AM

I had a friend once (she died of cancer) who said I needed to enter my quilts in quilt shows. My quilts are no where close to being good enough to enter into shows. To her they were beautiful but she was not a quilter. I buy what fabric I can afford and none of it is over $4.00 a yard and I just pick a thread to use and most of the time I cut off my points on some patterns. I just love to do it. I strive to do the best I can and don't worry about it if it is not perfect. The thing is to enjoy what you do and relax.
Old 07-10-2011, 05:01 AM

Awe... dont be so hard on yourself. Im a self taught quilter. it has taken me forever it seems to learn. I start out one block at a time. start with beginner blocks and I just practice. I couldnt use a rotary cutter to save my life and Im finally getting more efficient with it. 1/4" seams were a joke. They too are getting much better. When I get bored or better at one thing I move on to something else. I hoard fabrics and thread and sometimes feel guilty that I have so much fabric and I dont really make anything. but I know its there if and when. LOL I have started to struggle through understanding patterns. I have started with the garden cats and applique and Im having so much fun with it. No they are not perfect and they are not supposed to be. It takes me all day to make one! I just bought 4 more patterns on the same line and the dog ones too. keep working at it. everything done well is usually from practice! I just like puttering around with it know someday I might make something great. LOL it will be great to me if I can finish a large project. I find it relaxing most of the time. frustrating some of the time but rewarding all of the time. keep at it and pic one thing to practice then on to another. by the time you get to make something you will be good at it and happy. God Bless JoAnn
Old 07-10-2011, 06:14 AM

I just spent a few minutes looking at pictures of quilts you've made. You are a fantastic quilter - much more so than I could ever hope to be. Keep doing what you're doing and keep posting pictures of your beautiful work. God bless you for the love and care you are giving others.
Old 07-10-2011, 06:30 AM
Swap Hosts

Joy, I think that you have grasped the essence of quilting. That is how it started out - using what you have on hand and doing what makes you happy. It is peacefulness, not perfection that matters.
Old 07-10-2011, 06:49 AM

I'm taking my very first quilting class today and have been suffering some anxiety over 'will i be good enough', 'can i do it right?'...after reading yours and the other posts I'm just going to do it all in LOVE and let God direct the result! Thanks for being honest and helping me find the mental place i need to be in this endeavor! Bless you!
Old 07-10-2011, 07:39 AM

Joy, quilting should be FUN!! Period. For some people, that means striving for perfection, using the lastest tools, trying new techniques, using the best fabric, etc. For others, it means taking the fabric available and turning it into a different form that is pleasing to the eye and enjoyable to assemble. My pleasure comes from watching the pieces evolve while I sew either by hand or by machine. enJOY yourself and don't worry about what other people do. You might consider the pictures on the QB much as you would those in an art museum or magazine/book--something to look at and admire but not as models for you to imitate.

You go, girl! :thumbup: :thumbup: