Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
QB- Good and Bad >

QB- Good and Bad

QB- Good and Bad

Old 07-10-2011, 10:31 AM

Never mind what, as long as you do it for the love of the "game". I think you have your hands full and think you are a very fine person.
Old 07-10-2011, 10:41 AM

Finally another quilter just like me lol.
Old 07-10-2011, 10:54 AM

[quote=cjomomma]I have learned not to compare my quilts to the ones I see on here. If I did then I would give up quilting./quote]

I quilt because I love it, and as much as I would like my quilts to have perfect 1/4" seams, square corners, evenly made hand or machine quilting stitches, beautifully mitered bindings and borders, and nice, flat edges that don't flap in the breeze I doubt that will ever happen in this lifetime!!! I admire and respect all those who can achieve these high standards, but I doubt I ever will, and I DON'T CARE!! :D :D My quilts are loved and admired by the people in my life who matter most to me. My skills improve with every quilt I make, and I am very happy with that! :thumbup:

Life is much too short to worry about perfection. It is to be enjoyed and shared. My quilts are made with THAT goal in mind! :D :D :thumbup: :thumbup:

I come to the QB to learn, to admire, to drool and to dream. The only bad thing I have EVER found with this place is that I want to make nearly EVERYTHING I see!!!! There are way too many enablers on here, and I LOVE each and every one of them!!!!! :D They have encouraged me, challenged me and lifted my spirits when needed. I love my cyber family, and I can't imagine not visiting with them for even a short amount of time each day. :thumbup: :thumbup:
Old 07-10-2011, 10:57 AM

Straighten up and appreciate yourself! Caregiver for 3?! I'm impressed that you can quilt at all!Many years ago,I won a door prize at a craft baazzar I was in. The most ugly,gaudy "welcome" sign I had ever seen! I thought it was worthless!On the back, the crafter had carefully written her name, followed by a c in a circle (copyright). She didn't want someone stealing her designs! She thought it was grand! I took it home, someone begged it off me,- it appealed to their primitive side. POINT(knew I was getting to it)- we are our own worst critics. show your stuff to someone (us), w/ a positive note-"what do you think of this pattern/ I love blue in a quilt" ect. You might be surprised how much people will love what you post, or the little tip that could make a BIG DIFFERENCE to you! good luck, ss
Old 07-10-2011, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by MonnaL
Joy, I am right there with you! And I looked at some of your pictures - girl, you are a WONDERFUL quilter!

When I first started "making" quilts, I felt shamed that I wasn't hand piecing and doing it the "right" way. So, I learned hand piecing and quilting. Then, I was shamed because it took me so long to complete anything. So, I started learning rotary cutters and cutting mats. Now I feel shamed that I have so many tops unquilted, and so many WIPs.

I think loves_2_quilt has hit the nail on the head. It's whatever makes YOU happy. I've also decided, for me, the joy comes in gathering the fabrics, and planning the project.

I can't wait to see your Snake River log cabin when Charisma works her magic on it. That is one BEAUTIFUL quilt!
Don't any of you dare to even think about being "shyamed" about any of your quilting projects..!!!
If you even pick up a needle and sew two scraps of fabric together, then you are being creative! ...That is an enormous blessing in today's world!
Don't bemoan your mistakes! Just enjoy the pretty color combinations, the comforting feel of the finished quilt wrapped around you or a little kid or baby.
If you or another quilter had not thought of an interesting pattern, and sewed it together into something unique,
there would be a bit less beauty in this world!
Old 07-10-2011, 11:07 AM

I agree, I quilt with more love than skill. I do the best I can and am still a terrible binder person. I just keep practicing
Old 07-10-2011, 11:13 AM

Joy it is the love of quilting and giving to others that is important. There will always be those that want nothing but perfection. and I know that I will never reach that. I love to quilt for others. and that is what my Quilting group does. This last few weeks have been very stressful because we have been trying to get comfort quilts done for all those that lost everything in the floods that we had here in Roundup MT We hand tie all of ours and we are a small group. I tell everyone that if I don't make a mistake somewhere in my quilts, then I did not make the quilt. I also use what I have and what I can find at sales, thrift stores etc. Just remember it is how you feel when you give someone a quilt that you have made with love, that is important. Let God Bless you and others through your love and giving.
Old 07-10-2011, 11:16 AM

ENCOURAGEMENT...HOPE...LOVE...BLESSINGS to you in full measure.
Being a caretaker is a huge, huge, job. I hope that you are in some groups that help you with that. Every caretaker needs breaks and respites. If you don't take care of yourself, you can't really give them your best. If you don't have someone that takes over for you once in a while, please get someone. The Aging organization in your town/city should be able to help you with that and have Medicare pay for it.
You are taking care of yourself doing your quilting. Don't be condemned just because some people do it different from you. Your quilts are beautiful and you enjoy your quilting. Too bad if someone disagrees with how you do it. We used to say at school, "Be a duck!" Let unwarranted criticism roll off you like water off a duck's back.
Truely, no one else walks in your shoes and no one else can. I am so sorry that you are discouraged right now. Don't worry, we all have your back! With LOVE and HUGS!!
Old 07-10-2011, 11:17 AM

That why quilts are personal. We all use what we have or can afford. That's what makes the world go round :lol: :lol: :lol:
Old 07-10-2011, 11:27 AM

My grandmother..granny..had a few precious needles, a thimble and a pair of scissors that my granddad would try and cut anything and everything he could with them. She never had anything fancy to quilt with and was the best quilter I know. She hand pieced and hand quilted. Her sitches were so exact her quilts looked like they were machine done. I only hope to be a tad of the quilter she was.