Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 07-10-2011, 12:40 PM

Kathie S
Easiest way is to check out this thread:
http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-135162-1.htm

I thought I'd have a nervous breakdown if we'd had to leave without him.
Old 07-10-2011, 12:40 PM

And her decals are beautiful and not in bad shape...I also think you could probably find the missing parts on-line or on this board!
Old 07-10-2011, 12:47 PM

Thanks Marie! The tutorials were one of the 1st things I made sure to bookmark and probably what inspired me to finally take the plunge into a treadle. Extremely helpful info in those!

I figure the 127 is in sad enough shape and a common enough machine that I couldn't possibly do anything wrong to her. I'm putting the final bits of shellac on the cabinet and will hopefully get that back together tomorrow. Then I can start on the machine next weekend.
Old 07-10-2011, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by Bennett
Thanks Marie! The tutorials were one of the 1st things I made sure to bookmark and probably what inspired me to finally take the plunge into a treadle. Extremely helpful info in those!

I figure the 127 is in sad enough shape and a common enough machine that I couldn't possibly do anything wrong to her. I'm putting the final bits of shellac on the cabinet and will hopefully get that back together tomorrow. Then I can start on the machine next weekend.
Make sure you post your "after" pictures when you get her all cleaned up.
Old 07-10-2011, 12:54 PM

Hello all! I've been lurking here for a few weeks, and finally decided to join. I've loved seeing the variety of machines everyone has. Y'all have even inspired me to purchase a lonely and neglected treadle and get her up and running again. I've lucked out so far with my vintage machines and gotten ones that work without me doing anything, so my "old geezer" is an adventure.

My first was a Singer 201 in a cabinet purchased at an estate sale at least 10 years ago. I bought it for the cabinet/desk to use for my laptop! I think I started quilting at about that time, but I had a new Elna. Can't remember exactly why I started using the 201, but I was hooked. The poor Elna sat in a closet for a decade until I gave it to my sister earlier this year.

Next came a great 15-91 that I've used for many years with no problems. Then my mom bought be a Featherweight (finally got her up and running). A few weeks ago I found a 127 in a treadle that I'm currently working on. I don't seem to be stopping because yesterday I picked up a little 99k in a cabinet. Don't know why, because it's not as if I really need it! :) Oh, and I've got my eye on an well-used looking 66 model at Goodwill.

I think I'm officially hooked. My family probably thinks I'm crazy. I think I've rambled on enough, but I did want to say thanks to all of you for this great resource.
Welcome Bennett !! What part of Hot Texas are you from. I'm from Granbury where we are hot and dry as a bone. The vintage machines do get you hooked !

Texas Jan
Old 07-10-2011, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by quiltdoctor

Welcome Bennett !! What part of Hot Texas are you from. I'm from Granbury where we are hot and dry as a bone. The vintage machines do get you hooked !

Texas Jan
Hi Jan! I'm not terribly far away from you (in TX terms, that is). I'm up in Wichita Falls. I think we've had 2 rains since January that I can remember, jut terrible. The 100s started early this year too, not looking forward to August.
Old 07-10-2011, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by MarieM

Make sure you post your "after" pictures when you get her all cleaned up.
I've been taking pictures during the whole process (mostly to remind myself how everything goes back together). I could put together an entire photo essay of before, during, and hopefully a successful after.
Old 07-10-2011, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by Miz Johnny
Great video, but does it bother anyone else that she left the needle down and switched stitches? It's always the little things that get us.
Originally Posted by cabbagepatchkid
Originally Posted by Weedwoman
Took pics of newly acquired Brother. I'm hoping they upload.
It looks awesome! You mentioned that it might be able to be converted to treadle. I watched a YouTube video, the other day, with a Singer 319w converted to treadle. When I think of a treadle sewing machine I usually think of a black one but this SM is green and sort of "modern" looking. Check it out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7PVLI-LHDc

She also has a second video showing the treadle part of the machine as she sews.
:wink: :P :twisted: :shock: :-o
I saw that, too :shock: but I think it was an accident because I was watching to see if she did it again and she didn't.
Old 07-10-2011, 02:10 PM

I don't seem to be stopping because yesterday I picked up a little 99k in a cabinet. Don't know why, because it's not as if I really need it! :)
It's great that you got a 99 in the cabinet because it's a 3/4 sized machine and the 99 won't fit in all cabinets. Now that you have a 3/4 cabinet you will be able to get a cute little green 185j (also a 3/4 sized machine) and switch them back and forth in the smaller cabinet. See how people on this board are enablers...hahahaha...
:twisted:
Old 07-10-2011, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by quiltdoctor

Texas Jan
Hi Jan! I'm not terribly far away from you (in TX terms, that is). I'm up in Wichita Falls. I think we've had 2 rains since January that I can remember, jut terrible. The 100s started early this year too, not looking forward to August.
That is the hottest part of Texas !! Good stay inside and sew weather.

Texas Jan