Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
QB- Good and Bad >

QB- Good and Bad

QB- Good and Bad

Old 07-10-2011, 01:59 PM

Oh Joy, please don't let yourself be discouraged or be so hard on yourself. I think most of us are far too critical of our own work and some of the most beautiful quilts are made by people working entirely by hand or with the simplest of sewing machines. Fancy equipment is nice to have, but it isn't anywhere as important as the beauty of your imagination. God bless you for taking care of your family and grant you the peace and consolation of doing lovely work with your hands whenever you can.
Old 07-10-2011, 02:02 PM

Okay. So, what's the problem? I buy affordable fabric. I use whatever thread I can find. Even use some that's still on the wooden spools. I sew by hand. My machine is not fancy. Never had done FMQ. Never even seen a darning foot in real life. I can sew a perfect 1/4 seam by hand but not on the machine. My seams fall wahere they may. And, I probably break every rule there is when it comes to ironing. Because I don't. I don't prewash unless the fabric has something on it. And, guess what!!I have won awards!! I'm sure you will too. Don't second guess your work. A lot of these fancy tools and gadgets aren't necessary for good quilting. If it was, we wouldn't have a flag! and our forefathers would have all froze to death. I'm sure your work is fine!!
Old 07-10-2011, 02:12 PM

You know, back in the "olden days" quilters didn't have fancy machines, or magic feet that measured qtr. in., nor did they know about machine quilting......but, look at how we "more modern quilters" cherish the work our ancestors did and how much we value them because we know how much love went into them. So, keep doing what you're doing and know that one day your quilts will mean as much to someone else as they do to you today! :thumbup:
Old 07-10-2011, 02:17 PM

Just do your thing and so not sweat the small stuff they are your quilts and that is all that matters. Take care of yourself while you are taking care of all the other people in your life. God Bless
Old 07-10-2011, 02:29 PM

No ones perfect, just have fun doing the process. I don't always buy LQS fabric either, but what I make comes from the heart so who cares where the fabric was bought. Sounds like you have a lot going on. Keep up with your out. Hugs to you.
Old 07-10-2011, 02:33 PM

Joy, The "true" quilters quilted by hand, using whatever they had on hand. I've seen and own quilts made of curtains, children clothes and anything else that was available. Some of the batting in these are wads of cotten, taken from cotton fields with the seeds beat out and used to "stuff" the quilts. The stiches on some are 1/4 inch long if not longer. They are "real" quilts made to keep you warm and cover a bed.
I have to agree that too much value is put on perfection and color values etc.
I love scrap and string quilts myself. I hope other like them, but--I really don't put that much into what "others" think. Do what you like, what pleases you and don't worry about what anyone else has to say.
Although I've won blue ribbons and had one hang in the state muesum, I never worried what other thought. However I don't post pics on here quickly---maybe I AM concerned about the replies!!!!!
Old 07-10-2011, 02:37 PM
Power Poster

Know what you mean. Have been quilting for 12 years and still consider myself a beginner. Have taken a few classes but my quilts will never compare to most quilters. But on the flip side, quilting is such a relaxing time for me (unless it's one of my quilts that just don't cooperate) and even though my quilts are fair they are my fair. Plus when you see how people enjoy them it's so worth it, especially service quilts like Project Linus, for the soldiers, for your church, etc.
Think it is wonderful that you find time to quilt with you being a caregiver for 3 people. You are a wonderful, giving lady. Prayers to you.
Old 07-10-2011, 02:41 PM

You are too a quilter! Quit comparing yourself to others! Like someone else posted, if I did that, I wouldn't quilt either! Just do what you love, buy what you can, and ask for help when you need it!

Some of the most amazing quilts I've seen have been done on yard sale machines.

Hang in there!

Amy
Old 07-10-2011, 02:43 PM

Joy (surely there is truth in that name!),
I like the concept the Amish have about all of their work, but especially quilting. If their quilt is coming out PERFECT they always put in a "God's eye" (an intentional error because only God can do anything perfectly). Is that not true? Every quilt you see or read about would not stand up to close scrutiny if we had the chace to go over it with a magnifying glass.My grandmother made utility quilts with whatever fabric she had at hand, and, probably, quilted 5-6 stitches to the inch. But, her quilts were to keep her family warm. As I labor over a fussy pattern, I think my grandmother (Cajun)would have said, "Child, you must have a lot of time on your hands!" And, she graciously would have laughed at our efforts to outdo ourselves(or each other) on such a non-essential issue. She was 1 of 6 kids when her Mom died, & her Dad married a woman 4 yrs. older than she was.They had 6 kids & adopted his brother's kids when both parent were killed in the flood of 1928. He said "If you're feeding 14, what difference will 4 more make?"
Hugs and prayers for you, Debbie
Old 07-10-2011, 02:47 PM

Blessed are the caregivers - a very difficult job. I'm sure your love of quilting has helped with the stress of all you do. I so agree with everyone's comments - it is about the love of quilting - somehow these quilts get finished and bring warmth, joy and comfort for many years.
I am grateful for this amazing group of quilters who are supportive of everyone. You all brighten our days!