Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Non-quilters just do not understand.... but my QB friends will!! >

Non-quilters just do not understand.... but my QB friends will!!

Non-quilters just do not understand.... but my QB friends will!!

Old 07-11-2011, 06:56 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by luvTooQuilt
Im jealous!!... You are sooooo lucky!!!!

Oh to quilt till my hearts content, not having to make breakfast, lunch or dinner for anyone.. Not worry about the dishes in the sink.. No cleaning, no vacuuming.. What a life..!!

So happy you got away..
HEY..come to Enid, OK in AUg. for my mini retreat and you can do that for 3 whole days....
Old 07-11-2011, 06:57 AM

nobody thinks it's unusual if a golfer golfs on a weekend getaway, or someone who plays tennis looks for accommodations that include a tennis court, even tho these are activities they do at home. Makes perfect sense that a quilter will take along some quilting to enjoy while her husband is enjoying his hobby. Sounds perfect for both of you. Hope you both enjoyed every moment of the weekend.
Old 07-11-2011, 06:58 AM

I understand perfectly. When I was still working your vacation was my dream. You are lucky. I always love to come home from vacation with a quilt project started or pattern for something new.
Originally Posted by luvTooQuilt
Im jealous!!... You are sooooo lucky!!!!

Oh to quilt till my hearts content, not having to make breakfast, lunch or dinner for anyone.. Not worry about the dishes in the sink.. No cleaning, no vacuuming.. What a life..!!

So happy you got away..
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Old 07-11-2011, 07:03 AM

Sounds like a fabulous relaxing getaway to me!
Old 07-11-2011, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by BluegrassGurl
My husband and I took advantage of the recent July 4th holiday weekend and went to the mountains. We have been unable to take a trip for the past 2 years due to the financial strain we have been under. It was a trip designed for relaxation which we needed badly.

The goal.... he was going to fish.... I was going to quilt. I took my little Brother sewing machine, cutting tools, card table (in case there was not enough work space in our room), fabric, extension cords, etc. My husband took his fly fishing gear. Our car was loaded down. ;-)

We found a little motel that backed up to a mountain river. It had a deck on the back that was a mere 30 feet from the river. The scenery was divine.

I moved my card table and all my sewing paraphernalia out on the covered deck and sewed to my heart's content. My husband fished each morning and evening. We did do some sight seeing but basically stayed away from the tourist attractions.

When telling other folks about our trip.... it was hilarious to see their reaction when they heard about me taking all my sewing stuff. "Can't you do that at home?" was the typical reaction. "Yes", I replied, "but not with the scenery that I had."

So all that being said.... I know my QB friends will understand and truly appreciate the joy of being able to create a new masterpiece without any interruptions and the typical day-to-day tugs of responsibility. I work full-time and do not get to sit down and work on a quilt for very long periods of time.

BTW.... my new masterpiece is called "Summer at Mom's". I am actually making 2 of them.... one for our guest room... and one for my Mom for Christmas. I can't wait to post pics when they are complete.

Happy quilting everyone!
It sounds perfect to me. My husband and I are seasonal campers. We have a camper in the woods with a front deck and a lake nearby. We have the same kind of vacations you two had and think there is nothing like them.
Hope you can go again soon.
Old 07-11-2011, 07:22 AM

How wonderful for you! It sounds like the perfect vacation. I can't understand folks who go on vacation and then have to go back to work to rest up afterwards because of all they did while on said "vacation."
Old 07-11-2011, 07:29 AM

I hope he caught, cleaned and cooked your dinner. I can imagine how relaxing that would be...birds twittering, stream bubbling....
Old 07-11-2011, 07:36 AM

Well, congratulations to you. And I too, am sooooooo jealous. We haven't taken a vacation in about 5 years, maybe longer. I have an aged mother-in-law who needs to be looked after some as well as a few other things that are just a part of life. BUT, I never go anywhere without something to work on. I used to cross stitch and crochet mostly. Now, I'm making a hand stitched paper pieced hexagon quilt that I've been working on for almost 2 years and that project goes with me where ever I go. If I'm not adding to the larger quilt, I'm making more hexagons to add on later. I'm glad for you that you got to do something fun that you and your hubby enjoyed. If you ever have the opportunity to do it again, I hope you do. Happy Quilting....
Those others (non-quilters) just don't understand! Happy hands makes a healthy mind. I keep my hands busy and happy all the time.....
Old 07-11-2011, 07:36 AM

Good for you!
Old 07-11-2011, 07:39 AM

Wonderful time it sounds like...That's what I love about summer break. I get days to sew and no interruptions for work/school.