Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
standard, stick, and rotary party lines >

standard, stick, and rotary party lines

standard, stick, and rotary party lines

Old 07-12-2011, 04:09 AM

Great to hear all of that! I grew up learning how to drive on a "Standard" but we called it 3 on the tree! Also, I miss the dimmer light thingy on the floor! When my 15 yr old was little he went into my parents attic and saw a typewriter and couldn't believe what it did! He had no idea what it was, lol. We had a really nosy old lady on our party line and she listened in all the time and then went back and told our parents what she had heard. Thank goodness we don't have that anymore...

Thanks for the memories!
Old 07-12-2011, 04:38 AM

we were at the flea market the other day and my grandsons which are 13 and 9 seen some rotary phones and ask what they were and how to use them,,i guess i am really old also,because i have driven a stick shift and shift on the column, and used a rotary phone and know about party lines,,women would get on there and talk for hrs at a time,,if you needed to use the phone you were out of luck
Old 07-12-2011, 04:46 AM

Funny! I guess I'm only a roll away in La Crosse too.

Do you know that they are SO YOUNG that they don't even know what "Sunday Best" means, and that we had to change out of our good clothes to play?
Old 07-12-2011, 04:53 AM

When I still lived in the UP, we had a 9-party line. Life was interesting, there were few secrets to be had in our little township. It was really preferable to walk or drive to the best friends farm to talk. As for the phone, your really had to listen when it rang to know if it was your ring, or not.
Old 07-12-2011, 05:11 AM

I even had a 30 year old ask me what a thimble was...we all have different experiences. One fellow looked at me blankly when I told him my car had a preselector gearbox...
Old 07-12-2011, 05:25 AM

Originally Posted by bjeriann
Do you remember how the first 3 numbers of a phone number was a word + a # Ours was chestnut 3 (CH3-and the number). Plus we had a party line with 2 old ladies that would listen to our calls.
Yes I remember that and we had that same setup when I grew up, party line and all.
Old 07-12-2011, 05:27 AM

Originally Posted by Venice
Great to hear all of that! I grew up learning how to drive on a "Standard" but we called it 3 on the tree! Also, I miss the dimmer light thingy on the floor! When my 15 yr old was little he went into my parents attic and saw a typewriter and couldn't believe what it did! He had no idea what it was, lol. We had a really nosy old lady on our party line and she listened in all the time and then went back and told our parents what she had heard. Thank goodness we don't have that anymore...

Thanks for the memories!
I forgot about the dimmer switch on the floor!!!!
Old 07-12-2011, 05:29 AM

Oh my i remember this all and i got to drive my dads truck which was a stick shift on the column.These days kids don't know how lucky they have it or are they just spoiled with all that there is to offer.I think we need to get our kids off the couch and back outdoors.
Thank you for the memories.
Old 07-12-2011, 05:42 AM

I learned to drive with a standard,stick and an automatic vehicle lol my dad had 1 taht was standard which is the stick stuck on the side lol and then the stick on the floor boy some of them had real long shifters too on the old trucks that is and now i have a automatic got tired of shifting all the time specially on hills and having to slip the clutchs...... remember party lines too you watched what you said as you didnt kow who was listening in on the conversations...... guess thisnew generation dont know what they are missing .....
Old 07-12-2011, 05:55 AM

If you've ever had a phone with a party line, do you still listen for the dial tone before you start to dial? After all, somebody might be already using the phone. My kids laugh at me when I listen for the dial tone.