Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
even though i preach- give it & don't look back...sometimes >

even though i preach- give it & don't look back...sometimes

even though i preach- give it & don't look back...sometimes

Old 07-14-2011, 03:07 AM

At a school auction once, I offered a classroom sized pan of brownies (12" x 18") with frosting and candy of the class' choice on top. It went for $5 and cost me about $20 to make. SOOOOO....the next year, I offered the same thing but insisted that the minumum bid had to be $20. It went for $30. BTW---I had about 30 minutes of time in each pan, nothing like a quilt! I'd say that if you donate a quilt, stipulate a minimum bid.....
Old 07-14-2011, 03:12 AM

I, too, have been down that road. Last time, (years ago) I asked that an opening bid of $50 be made. I was told that no one would bid on it for that. I asked if this was a fund raiser or a give away. Not satisfied with the reply, I took my quilt and said something to the fact that it was our loss (the organization), and we'd make more by simply passing the hat.

Later, I made table decorations for the same organization, using oval plastic ice cream containers. I decoupaged them, sticking the logo on from letter heads and old programs. Added some coffee filter flowers, and people were buying them off the tables for $10. They cost me nothing but time, and not much of that. In this case, value was perceived in the uniqueness of the item.
Old 07-14-2011, 03:19 AM

If you are inclined to donate something again, I would make sure it is clearly marked with a value so the auctioneer knows what it's worth and can tell the bidders. Don't know if it helps but I always make sure any items I donate have a value on them. Also don't want to know what they sell for, it's less frustrating and I agree with others that a raffle generally raises more money than an auction for quilts. Unfortunately many folks at an auction are there to get the most 'bang' for the least amount of money.
Old 07-14-2011, 03:27 AM

Same thing happens every year at our annual ladies auction at church. It blows my mind that people will pay over $100 for a pie or cake but the auctioneer has to work hard to get maybe $50 for a huge quilt done beautifully by a quilting group that donates one each year. Have heard the same in regards to other church auctions. Nope, not wasting my time with that.
Old 07-14-2011, 03:28 AM

and now we know why to never look back.

Lets pretend, cuz it may very well be, that someone very derserving, who absolutely loves it is nested up in it right this very minute!

Things are not always as they seem. I have purchased new uncracked opened books 2nd hand, only to discover a gift note inside. If the giftor knew her gift was reduced to a 25 cent sale, they may, at first be heart broken, but that's only cuz they don't know the 2nd half to that story - that I got the book, and it meant something to me . . .

I gotta run. You all have a wonderful day now!!!
Old 07-14-2011, 03:31 AM

I sure know the feeling... Yearsago my MIL asked me to make some blueberry jam for her church bazarr, well I did. I used the 8 oz. Mason jars with the pretty lids, at that time it cost about 1.50 to make each one of them. I made a dozen and sent them to the church. They sold them for 25 cents each!!!!!! Lesson learned.... Just give them a donation next time, as what I did!!!!!
Old 07-14-2011, 04:05 AM

ck, I had a very similar thing happen to me just a couple months ago. I told myself to consider where the silent auction was held (a small local park in a not so well to do community) and the weather (damp and dreary). In my case my quilt didn't even garner ONE bid because she asked for a minimum of $75 bid. I had more than that in fabric & batting alone. I have now decided that I won't do that again. From now on I will donate to charities with the thought that some unfortunate person will truly appreciate my "gift". I will do more Quilts for Kids and some others. No more auctions or raffles.
Old 07-14-2011, 04:11 AM

Originally Posted by erstan947
A raffle seems to be much better than auction. Around here that is the best way to get the most donations:)
same here.....and raffle should have at the very least six months of selling tickets, a year is better.
Old 07-14-2011, 04:13 AM

You have every right to be upset! I have only been in the quilt hobby a couple of years and the work and time to create a quilt, even a small one can be a lot of work and expense. I am sorry it did not work out better and yes, next time, I would just give money if I were you. I would love to be able to donate a quilt, but do not feel I am experienced enough, but if this happened, it would break my heart. I hope the next quilts you create are loved and cherished as they should be.
Old 07-14-2011, 04:15 AM

I understand completely. Back when I was making dolls, the church I attended was raising money and asked for items to go into a silent auction. I put together a basket with an 18" doll, 2 cute seasonal dresses-christmas and Easter, I crocheted some accessories etc easily worth a min of $50. I went to the silent auction and didn't see my doll set. Later I found one of the lady's who set up the auction thought it would be a cute present for her granddaughter and dontaed $5 for it.

I was furious, because I made my dolls to give to children at a local children's hospital. I sold some for ~$35 each occassionaly to support my fabric and stuffing needs.

The next time they came to me asking for a doll I gave them $5. "That's what my work is worth to you people."