Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
even though i preach- give it & don't look back...sometimes >

even though i preach- give it & don't look back...sometimes

even though i preach- give it & don't look back...sometimes

Old 07-14-2011, 04:17 AM

I made a deer quilt for our bank silent auction for Relay for Life, and machine quilted it, took about 10 hours. My girlfriend got the largest bid of $35. I was sad but glad that at least someone I knew would appreciate it. However, I totally agree. People don't have any clue how much something costs to make in time and funds.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-226175.jpe
Views:	97
Size:	113.1 KB
ID:	226181  
Old 07-14-2011, 04:21 AM
Power Poster

Ouch! I wouldn't donate quilts to them any more. Yes, maybe donate some cash if you like the cause. If they ask why I would explain them in a kind manner.
Old 07-14-2011, 04:27 AM

We sure learn fromour mistakes. It doesn't take a rock to fallon my head anymore!
Old 07-14-2011, 04:28 AM
Power Poster

This is so wrong and I think it should have been reported to the organization. I see this more often people showing up before hand that are involved some how and "buying" some beautiful donated items for almost nothing. This basket was donated to be auctioned off not to be "stolen".

Originally Posted by charity-crafter
I understand completely. Back when I was making dolls, the church I attended was raising money and asked for items to go into a silent auction. I put together a basket with an 18" doll, 2 cute seasonal dresses-christmas and Easter, some accessories etc easily worth a min of $50. I went to the silent auction and didn't see my doll set. Later I found one of the lady's who set up the auction thought it would be a cute present for her granddaughter and dontaed $5 for it.

I was furious, because I made my dolls to give to children at a local children's hospital. I sold some for ~$35 each occassionaly to support my fabric and stuffing needs.

The next time they came to me asking for a doll I gave them $5. "That's what my work is worth to you people."
Old 07-14-2011, 04:30 AM

This has also happened to me. This year, there was a silent auction for a local Republican group. The money raised went to a scholarship fund for graduating HS seniors, and not to politicos.

I donated 2 small patriotic quilts (wall-quilt size) and only got $40 for the 2 of them.. one of the quilts had an American flag theme. What really ticked me off was that the buyer of the quilts said that she will use them as baby quilts for her grandchild... even the one with the flag motif. So her grandchild will crawl around on our flag, dirty it up.... Never again!
Old 07-14-2011, 05:05 AM

Oh man the same thing happened to me. They really have no idea of the cost of our projects. You know next time they ask why not just make a table runner. Not as much time and money invested and yet your talent is still showcased. It sounds as though you like to share your craft as do I. It's just a thought.
Old 07-14-2011, 05:13 AM

I think I would cry and then, I would use your solution and not back down from it, give a donation of the palty level they got for your nice quilts. If that's all they get, they will be thrilled with your cash donation. They evidently have no concept of the price of fabric and the time it takes to construct a quilt, much less what you put in a quilt of yourself.
Old 07-14-2011, 05:30 AM

Originally Posted by thrums
When I first arrived in TN local churches auctioned quilts and they went for $500 or more. Times have changed. Either people don't have the money or they don't appreciate/recognize the value of handcrafted items.
I think you're right.

When I was a child, my mother bought three quilts at silent auctions to benefit the Mennonite Aid society (we had friends who were Mennonites). I can't remember exactly what she paid but I know it was well over $100 per quilt, which was a lot more in the 1960s than it is now.

In the 1980s, that Mennonite Aid society stopped holding auctions for handmade items because people just weren't willing to bid fair prices for the items that were offered. They shifted to food sales (baked goods, jams, jellies, that sort of thing) and found it made more money.

Go figure.
Old 07-14-2011, 05:33 AM

I don't think you should feel bad about not wanting to donate a quilt that only brings $20. Think of it in strictly cash terms and it makes more sense. What if you donated $100, and they threw $80 away and only used $20 for the charity That woud be stupid. Same thing. Our quild made these quilts fro the SPCA, and they're planning on an auction. I think someone spoke to them about a reserve as almost 30 quilters were involved in the project, so you can imagine the value! (The pictures are before they left me, so they still get a brown border, binding and quilting.) I made a wall quilt for an elementary school auction that only got $25, and the woman who got it actually called me an apologized that it only brought such a little amount because she knew it was worth more. That helped my feelings a lot!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-226213.jpe
Views:	100
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	226219   Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-226214.jpe
Views:	104
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	226220  
Old 07-14-2011, 05:35 AM

I would feel the same way you do. Maybe changing our thinking might work - You never know who might be the ultimate recipient of your lovingly made quilt - a lonely child? A homeless person? A battered woman? Anyone who just might need the sense of incredible LOVE that you put into the quilts you make as they wrap up into them? Anyway...I'm a beginning quilter and I'm trying to get myself to make quilts and give them away and let God use them as He sees fit.