Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
even though i preach- give it & don't look back...sometimes >

even though i preach- give it & don't look back...sometimes

even though i preach- give it & don't look back...sometimes

Old 07-14-2011, 06:26 AM

I had the same experience. I made a lap sized quilt and even paid to have someone quilt it so it would look great! I thought it was to be a raffle but the person in charge decided to "auction" it off. It was a small dinner and the resulting money earned did not even cover the cost of the quilting. The bright side is that the winner really loved and covets the quilt and it has a good home where it is appreciated! :P
Old 07-14-2011, 06:30 AM

My Quilt Guild had a silent auction. I don't know if this is common practice but the rules stated that if the item does not sell, the person who made it could buy it back for $10! I decided I would not participate....... :shock:
Old 07-14-2011, 06:33 AM

That has happened to me also. I made a quilt and donated to a fund raiser for a 12 year old with cancer. I don't remember what I put into it, made from jelly roll, and it was auctioned off for only $25.00. I was upset also, but you just have to let it go. I don't think people stop to think how much work goes into making a quilt. Expecially people who don't sew or quilt.

JoyceL
Old 07-14-2011, 06:46 AM

I would donate the cost of making a quilt, then, if you have a quilt that matches a theme for them and say, you can "show " this quilt, but not auction it. Even say its NOT for sale. I would say, before the end of the event someone will just HAVE to have it, can't live w/o it, lol. Then, you sell it for a fair price and donate that money too! sharet
Old 07-14-2011, 06:46 AM

I agree with ptquilts - give a cash donation you feel comfortable with and TELL them WHY you no longer wish to donate your quilts.

Perhaps if they understand how much it costs both in materials & time to make a quilt - they will be more likely to start their bidding higher.
Old 07-14-2011, 06:53 AM

Um I am wondering if someone was "selling" at the auction.........as in ............now look at this wonderful quilt, look at all the piecing, wonderful fabrics and so on and so forth..............If people don't sew they are not educated on how much investment into a project a maker does, not just the fabrics, pattern but also the time............and yes, the energy too..................sorry your discouraged........calla
Old 07-14-2011, 07:08 AM

I donated a quilt to the local Santa's helpers auction. It helps raise money to buy coats and toys for kids at Christmas. Anyway, a couple days after the auction, someone called me to tell be how beautiful my quilt was, and it bought $35 dollars. They thought that was really good. I had twice that much in just the materials to make it. I would have been better off to just donate the $35. So, that was the last one I will donate for an auction.
Old 07-14-2011, 07:18 AM

This topic makes me wonder, are you allowed to write off on your taxes the amount it costs you to donate? Or, is the donation even allowable?
Old 07-14-2011, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by Painiacs
I don't blame u! My daughter did a silent auction and even she knew to put a min bid!!!
I find giving to a silent auction gives you the opportunity to say what would be a good bottom price.
Old 07-14-2011, 07:33 AM

Linda,
Yes, you are allowed to deduct the value of the quilt, but the deduction only reduces your taxable amount by a little. If the value was $300 for example, you could still be in the same tax range and pay the same amount of taxes. So it depends!